Degraded boot on brand new ssd

mvcad

Contributor
Hi All,
I re-purposed an old CAD workstation to run FreeNAS RC1, about half an hour after initial boot I got a re light indicating the boot volume is degraded. I used a brand new 120 GB WD green SSD. How can I tell if the ssd is faulty? I've seen other threads with people having issues with ssd as boot and it was solved by disabling trim. if this is my case I wouldn't know how to do it anyway.

so first thing first. how can I confirm the ssd is faulty?
upload_2018-11-29_7-24-28.png

upload_2018-11-29_7-27-57.png

Hardware: HP Z400 worstation, Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3530 @ 2.80GHz, 24 GB ECC RAM, 120 GB WD green SSD as boot, 3 X 4TB WD RED
FreeNAS V 11.2 RC1

joeschmuck

Old Man
First of all I'd recommend using FreeNAS 11.1-U6 since you are building a new server you should use a stable build. Also RC1 has been superceeded by RC2 several days ago.

Now you can test the SSD out but odds are it is working fine, but it could be corrupt so try to install the software on it again. If you get the same results then you will have to look for something else. Turning off TRIM should not be difficult, do a Google search for something like 'freenas trim off ssd boot" and see what you come up with.

mvcad

Contributor
Thanks, I re-installed frenas on another SSD, same brand and model, and have the same issue. I found in this forum there is a known issue with some ssd due to its firmware. so I will get another brand.

TheWoo

Explorer
Honestly, I completely lost faith in WD Green SSDs with regards to FreeNAS. I bought two 120 GB m.2 WD Green SATA SSDs (WDS120G2G0B) and the FreeNAS Installer USB Stick fails to install on them (ATA Errors), despite both drives being on the latest firmware (version UI450000), but I just learned that they are no good as boot drives. Some users claimed that they where able to use them as boot drives after turning off TRIM.

There are many reports on problematic SSDs, an but WD Greens and SanDisk seem to be both problematic, as they ... and they both have in common that they use Silicon Motion Controllers:
1575048058407.png

Reports on problems with WD Green/SanDisk SSDs: