ZFS seemingly causing kernel panic

Yasu

Cadet
So, as my title says I think my ZFS is causing me FreeNAS to immediately enter panicmode.

Here's a quick picture I took of the whole error message:

IMG_20190817_101141.jpg

Here's a bit more info:

Hardware: Xeon E3-1231 v3
Mainboard: MSI Gaming 3 Z97
RAM: 16GB
Storage: The system itself runs on a 240GB WD m.2 SSD, and the pool consists of 3HDDs : 4TB, 500GB & 1TB.

The system is running the most current stable FreeNAS, and has also been running flawlessly until I woke up yesterday morning and it was stuck at this screen.
I tried an Ubuntu live CD and was able to see the zfs and it also showed it as being healthy, but it somehow still doesn't allow me to mount it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if there's any more questions I'll try to answer them as best as I can.

D

dlavigne

It's possible the boot device died. Does reinstalling the same version to a new stick resolve the issue?

Yasu

Cadet
So should I try installing FreeNAS to a USB stick and boot the machine from there - or could I just reinstall it on the SSD?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Either way. If the SSD is damaged, that wouldn't be a good idea, and it's usually bad news when a SSD-installed FreeNAS goes wrong, but depending on what's actually happened it could also be fine.

Yasu

Cadet
Yeah, trying to reinstall it on my SSD immediately crashed me into panic mode again. I took out the SSD now and installed it to USB, it's booting fine now. Guess I got a faulty SSD, since it's only about 2 weeks old.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sorry to hear. :-( It does happen, but it's unusual. Usually a SSD has a decent controller.

Care to share the details about the SSD, for enlightenment?

Yasu

Cadet
Sure, it's a WDS240G2G0B m.2 SSD, WD Green. Barely 10 days old, too. I'll just keep running the system off of USB for now.

Sure, it's a WDS240G2G0B m.2 SSD, WD Green. Barely 10 days old, too. I'll just keep running the system off of USB for now.
Glad you got it booting! You may already know this given your recent failure but just in case I'll offer this cautionary advice. You'll want to keep frequent backups of your system config and any encryption keys if you use encryption.

Yasu

Cadet
Is it possible to do an automatic backup of the config to the cloud, i.e. Google Drive?

Yasu

Cadet
Right, I didn't even think of that..if it breaks I can just import my pool and get the config from there. Nevermind me, it's late.

anmnz

Patron
WD Green SSDs are one of the types of SSD called out in this bug report. They appear to corrupt data when used as a FreeNAS boot disk:

https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-100276

I don't know if it's related and maybe someone knows a reason it's not relevant... but maybe worth trying a different SSD.

Yasu

Cadet
I'm leaving my USB as a boot drive for now and sending the SSD back. Since it runs more than fine I might as well invest the SSD money into another HDD or a more quiet case.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you do, be sure to move your system dataset to the pool, or you will rapidly burn through the minimal endurance your USB device has.

Yasu

Cadet
I think it did that on its own for me, since it doesn't say freenas-boot but instead the name of my pool.