Not open for further replies.

potato

Cadet
hello
I just did a fresh install on a USB of the latest release
everything was working fine before this

I can auto-import everything except the raid drives
the drive shows up fine in both the auto-import and the shell zpool import

however, as soon as I try to import, the computer immediately goes crazy for 10 seconds and reboots
I am going to assume this is a kernel panic?

I have tested the computer memory, it is fine
I am not familiar with the 9 version of freenas very much
I heard the memory size can be adjusted in tunables? and if it is too low it can cause a panic?

any advice is appreciated

krikboh

Patron
How much memory do you have? FreeNAS 9.x requires 8 GB minimum and this sounds like you are short on memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

potato

Cadet
hi
wow that's alot of memory,
I am only using 4GB but I downgraded to the 32bit version for the 9version

krikboh

Patron
The 32 bit version and UFS are both deprecated for the upcoming 9.3. You will need a hardware upgrade if you want to continue using FreeNAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

potato

Cadet
hi
thanx for the replies
wow, that's crazy, I was recommended freenas and recommend it to others as a way to reuse old hardware
but I guess if they can be a serious professional alternative to commercial competitors, then that's great too

Ok, I will install on an AMD FX workstation with 8GB and see if that solves this and try to recover the data
I'll post back tomorrow, thanx

jgreco

Resident Grinch
FreeNAS is a NAS platform with relatively heavy requirements compared to many others, largely because it was designed for ZFS and because it was designed for large deployments. If you want a NAS that's designed for old hardware with limited resources, there are better choices out there.

I will note that I have seen problems importing a pool created on FreeNAS 8 with FreeNAS 9, a problem that shouldn't occur.

potato

Cadet
hi thanx for the reply
Ok, this is absolutely not a problem with the memory
I just used 8GB of relatively new DDR3 on a brand new freenas install
this seems to be a software bug issue or corruption from upgrading/re-installing

I also am confident it is not the memory, as I said before, it happens immediately on pressing enter and I consistently recreate the kernel crash everytime
I also found out freenas won't install to a USB3.0 port

you know, alot of people say ZFS is safer, better. etc.
but none of that even matters if you can't access the folder
I have read people losing all the information on their NAS just from a simple power failure
before i re-installed i did reset back to factory settings, maybe I did not dismount the disc properly, idk

anyway, I am out of ideas
thanx for the help though

Status
Not open for further replies.