SOLVED Default Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Installed FreeNAS, on a VM under ESXi, for example...
IP = 192.168.0.100
Gateway = 192.168.0.1

All working fine, now I need to change the default Gateway to 1.1.1.1
As you can see, its a different subnet. So when I change it, I no longer have access to the GUI or anything else for that matter. I kinda get why, as I had the same thing with a debian server, but found a easy guide for that.
My question is, in easy language, how do I do this ?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi

Installed FreeNAS, on a VM under ESXi, for example...
IP = 192.168.0.100
Gateway = 192.168.0.1

All working fine, now I need to change the default Gateway to 1.1.1.1
As you can see, its a different subnet. So when I change it, I no longer have access to the GUI or anything else for that matter. I kinda get why, as I had the same thing with a debian server, but found a easy guide for that.
My question is, in easy language, how do I do this ?
Welcome to the forums!

Question: why do you want to change the Gateway to 1.1.1.1?

The VM is in a live environment on the net, the default gw from my ISP is different. If I leave it as is, I waste an IP (of the 4 I have) basically, want to use 1 IP for the NAS not 2

To clarify,
IP = 5.135.75.xxx
GW = 37.187.134.254

Is what it needs to be.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
The VM is in a live environment on the net, the default gw from my ISP is different. If I leave it as is, I waste an IP (of the 4 I have) basically, want to use 1 IP for the NAS not 2

To clarify,
IP = 5.135.75.xxx
GW = 37.187.134.93

Is what it needs to be.
I don't understand your network setup. :)

Best practice is to not expose your FreeNAS server to the internet... Most users put them behind a firewall/router, and use NAT/port forwarding to expose what few ports, if any, need to be accessible from the outside world. Otherwise, you risk the Russian Mafia hacking into your server and causing no end of grief and mischief.

Perhaps if you explain what you're trying to accomplish with your FreeNAS server, we can better ascertain how best to safely achieve your goals.

the shares are not available to the outside world, as I have setup IP blocking.
If I leave as is, it uses 2 IP's if I change GW, it uses one leaving me the other for something else.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
the shares are not available to the outside world, as I have setup IP blocking.
If I leave as is, it uses 2 IP's if I change GW, it uses one leaving me the other for something else.
You don't have a router/firewall?

If not, you're opening your system up to being hacked. There's a good discussion of the subject in this thread.

In any case, experts here on the forum will be more inclined to help if you will post your system information per the forum rules, and include a description of the goals you hope to accomplish by exposing your server to the internet.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.