Pc to freenas nic to nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caffe Mocha

Explorer
Hello, everyone
My problem is pretty straight forward , I am trying to set up freenas directly behind my pc from nic to nic, without any switches in between . I have searched the thread and found that by setting a different subnet in both pc and freenas, It should be able to work. Pls correct me if I made errors in my example
Freenas ip. 192.168.0.1. 255.255.255.0. (No gateway? )
Pc Ip. 192.169.1.1. 255.255.255.0 (no gateway?)
By using the above setting , I should be still able to access web gui by key in 192.168.0.1 in browser right ? Also by setting up Nfs sharing, backup speed should theoretically close too 1Gbit?(ignore Hd bottleneck)

Excuse me for asking first without try it first, but PCs are in the office and I do hope I can save a bit of time :)
The thread I found.
forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-configure-nic-to-nic-connection.27588

gpsguy

You'll need to have the pc and FreeNAS on the same network.

If the IP address of FreeNAS is 192.168.0.1, then the pc needs to be 192.168.0.x (x is a number). Your subnet mask is correct and you don't need a gateway address.

If your switch is the bottleneck, performance should be better. Whether you can get close to the theoretical maximum is dependent on the hardware in both your server and your pc. If there's a Realtek NIC in either one of them, probably not.

Caffe Mocha

Explorer
Thank you for your reply, I will give it a try when I in office tomorrow .
T

If the IP address of FreeNAS is 192.168.0.1, then the pc needs to be 192.168.0.x (x is a number). Your subnet mask is correct and you don't need a gateway address.

If your switch is the bottleneck, performance should be better. Whether you can get close to the theoretical maximum is dependent on the hardware in both your server and your pc. If there's a Realtek NIC in either one of them, probably not.[/QUOTE

If your switch is the bottleneck, performance should be better. Whether you can get close to the theoretical maximum is dependent on the hardware in both your server and your pc. If there's a Realtek NIC in either one of them, probably not.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
When people say it should be on different subnets they are referring to having your normal pc traffic and your nas to pc traffic on differing subnets.

Status
Not open for further replies.