Dashboard and HDD temperatures reporting

DrBob

Dabbler
Is the bug still persistent or I should make some changes in the system setup?
After making a system upgrade in june I lost an ability to see HDD temperatures on the dashboard. As I found out, it’s not only my problem that arose not only with the update of the system in May, and passed for some users by itself in the summer with the upgrade of the system. I was hoping the problem would be cured with the latest update to 11.2-U6, but the problem persists.Any ideas how to solve it?

hervon

Patron
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/forum-rules.45124/
It's important to remember that hardware information is extremely important when diagnosing problems so please make sure to include this information if you need help troubleshooting a problem. This includes:
  • Motherboard make and model
  • CPU make and model
  • RAM quantity
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives
  • Hard disk controllers
  • Network cards

HD temps show just fine in the dashboard for me with 11.2-U6.

DrBob

Dabbler
Well, I would agree that the hardware could have a bearing on this if temperatures had not been displayed before, or if the system had received temperatures not through SMART.
As I understand it, I have the same problem as in this bugreport https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/62163

pschatz100

Guru
On the system in my signature, I found that HD temps were showing OK in the legacy interface with 11.2 but did not show up properly in the new UI. With 11.2u5, they show up for me OK in the new interface. I don't know why.

From other threads reporting this problem, temp reporting appears to be rather intermittent from one system to the next. Apparently, a re-write of the middleware that performs temp monitoring is underway for release as part of 11.3.

DrBob

Dabbler
The most funny thing, that I discovered today, is that temperatures started showing on a newly installed ada2, which replaced a failed ada2, then started showing on newly installed ada1, which I also replaced to make the RAID newer and larger (I could not puchase 3TB HDDs and bought a pair of 4TBs and made the replacement via the standard procedure in the manual), but disappeared after a reboot when I updated the release to 11.2-U7 via the standard update procedure...