Connect Freenas and tranmission remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akhademik

Explorer
After seeking for help from forum and internet i finally made my transmission works on FreeNAS 9.1.1. So far so good. But there are some problems. At first i allowed transmission setting to use it over the web interface, but in the end i don't know the exact ip address of transmission. So i have to do it in my own way (use NetWatcher scan all the ip address that connected to the same router and try these ip one by one). So my question is, how can you find the ip address of transmission?

In my case:
Nas: 192.168.1.222
BT: 192.168.1.224:9091

Second question. How can we use NAS outside of the local network? I know it support DynamicDNS. I tried to set it up in both FreeNAS and my Router (i use no-ip.com) but it doesn't work.
And the last question. How can i manage my transmission remotely (like pause, reseed ... if i'm not at home)

Thanks.

Whattteva

Wizard
Look into either SSH or OpenVPN.
I wouldn't open the web admins to the world if I were you.

Akhademik

Explorer
I need to do that cause i mainly use transmission, so i have to access it outside of my network to handle it. is there anyway to do that?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You need to look at port forwarding....this is not a FreeNAS issue at all.

Forward a port you want to use to the Jail/Plugin's IP address and port

Akhademik

Explorer
You need to look at port forwarding....this is not a FreeNAS issue at all.

Forward a port you want to use to the Jail/Plugin's IP address and port

1. I set up a dns at no-ip.com ( abc.no-ip.org)
2.I configured dns account in freenas (using user/pass in no-ip.com)
3.I configured dns in my router (abc.no-ip.org)
4.I configured Port Forwarding in my router (forward the local ip of my nas: 192.168.1.xxx)
P.S: i just put a random port for step 4 i don't know whether i have to put the exact port or any port will do?

Then i connected to another network and try to type in address: abc.no-ip.org and voila, nothing happen ...

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
yeah, you need a lot more than that.

For the BT page only, you need to forward a port you want to use to the IP of the Jail running transmission, not the FreeNAS. It does matter what port you use, it also matters what port you connect to from the remote location.

You cant just pick random Ip addresses and ports and expect to get to where you want to go...

Think about it like an apartment building. You need to walk in and go to the right apartment door, right? You cant just walk in and randomly pick an apartment and wind up in your own apartment.

somedomain.no-ip.org:9091

Whattteva

Wizard
You most likely messed up the step 4.
It can't be just a random port. It needs to be the port you actually need to use (ie. Transmission web: 9091).
Also, the IP needs to be the transmission plugin IP, which is different from the FreeNAS IP.

SmallGuy

Guru
You need activate DDNS on your router to be able to resolve the IP adress of your router(I understand it is already done)
On your router, create a new NAT rule:
-choice a protocol, in your case http
-choice a external port (internet side) preferably above 1024
-indicate the internal IP (Network side)= YourJailIP (jail containing Transmission plugin)
-indicate the internal port for Transmission (port define in the Transmission configuration options on FreeNAS)

When your are outside of your network, connect via http://Your_Domain:External_Port_Of_NAT_Rule

That's it!

A comment:
As the protocol is http, your login/password used to connect the Transmission webadmin are transmitted as clear text over the network and internet. That's why Whattteva said it isn't a good idee to open the web admin to the world, and I'm agree with him (so use above instructions at your own risks).

What I have done is to configure transmission properly (as I want). Then I have activate the SSH service, configure sftp with key base authentication and create a rule for SSH connection on my Internet provider box . So I have a secure external access to the torrents folder (and downloads folder aswell), and can add torrents to transmission. I don't have external access to the transmission webadmin, but don't need it.;)

hervon

Patron
OpenVPN configured on the router is the way to go. You get a complete secure access to your local network. Check if your router supports it. If not, check if your router supports dd-wrt. That's the way I made it. I changed nothing at all to FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.