What is the easiest way to remotely admin and backup files on FreeNAS outside of the LAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
What is the easiest way to remotely admin and backup files on FreeNAS outside of the LAN?

I'm looking to achieve 2 things:

1. Remotely administrate and manage BitTorrent Transmission downloads outside of the LAN.

- adding downloads, monitoring downloads etc

2. Backup files to the FreeNAS remotely no matter where I am in the world, as a personal cloud.

I initially thought this was the purpose of Owncloud, but it turns out that it only works inside of the LAN, (basically pointless) since I can already to files shares from the FreeNAS to windows, android etc anyways.
Alternatively I see BT-Sync may be able to achieve this however, I'm not sure if this is the best approach?

danb35

Hall of Famer
VPN. Use a suitable router (pfSense, or something compatible with dd-wrt) with a secure VPN server (like OpenVPN) installed, and set up a client on your computer, smartphone, or whatever device you want to use. OpenVPN has free clients available for pretty much every environment you might want.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
What do you mean owncloud is only for LAN?

That's ridiculous... It can be used wherever you like

danb35

Hall of Famer
What do you mean owncloud is only for LAN?
That's ridiculous... It can be used wherever you like
Of course it can, but if FreeNAS is installed as recommended (i.e., on a LAN, with some sort of router or firewall preventing inbound access from the Internet), and the user hasn't done anything on that router/firewall to make the Owncloud jail Internet-accessible, the Owncloud installation will only be accessible from the LAN. I have no idea how well-hardened the Owncloud plugin is, so wouldn't want to recommend one way or the other whether to, say, set up port forwarding from OP's router to the Owncloud jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.