Transmission exposed !

Akhademik

Explorer
Lately i tried to install transmission and very successfully. But now i realize if somebody connected to my network, use a program to scan for all ip that connected to the same network they will find out my transmission ip (ex: 192.168.1.123) and when they put it in browser address they will come directly to transmission webui. is there anyway to protect that? like passwords promt etc? I really need your help.

Whattteva

Wizard
How exactly are they going to connect to your network in the first place?
Before even securing transmission, I would secure the method they will use to connect to your network first (ie. wireless network).
If you lock down that method for them to connect to your private network, then you don't really have any security issues since 192.168.1.123 IP address is non-routable on the Internet.

Akhademik

Explorer
How exactly are they going to connect to your network in the first place?
Before even securing transmission, I would secure the method they will use to connect to your network first (ie. wireless network).
If you lock down that method for them to connect to your private network, then you don't really have any security issues since 192.168.1.123 IP address is non-routable on the Internet.

Let's say i have a family run hotel. I have 3 rooms for me, parents and brother. So i do have a wifi connection with password for my customers. That's how they connect to the network for the first place.

Whattteva

Wizard
In that case, you can:
  1. Shutdown Transmission service
  2. Locate the Transmission configuration file called "settings.json" (I don't have it installed so I'm not sure of the exact path)
  3. Find an entry that says: rpc-authentication-required and set it to true
  4. Find an entry that says: rpc-password and set it to the password you desire
  5. Find an entry that says: rpc-username and set it to the username you desire
  6. Save the file
  7. Restart the Transmission service

Akhademik

Explorer
In that case, you can:
  1. Shutdown Transmission service
  2. Locate the Transmission configuration file called "settings.json" (I don't have it installed so I'm not sure of the exact path)
  3. Find an entry that says: rpc-authentication-required and set it to true
  4. Find an entry that says: rpc-password and set it to the password you desire
  5. Find an entry that says: rpc-username and set it to the username you desire
  6. Save the file
  7. Restart the Transmission service
You rocks :cool: One tiny question, how can i locate that file and how to edit the file?

Whattteva

Wizard
Go to Shell and type in
Code:
jls
. It should show you a list of jails. Note the JID of the jail that's most likely running Transmission.
Then type
Code:
jexec JID /bin/tcsh
substituting JID with the number that you saw in the first step.
Then type
Code:
find / -name settings.json
and note the path to that file.
Then type
Code:
ee /path/found/in/previous/step/settings.json
and edit the appropriate settings.
Once you're done making your changes, type ESC ENTER and save the file.

SmallGuy

Guru
There is also the Transmission configuration options on Freenas GUI to do that, instead of proceed on the dark side.
But thanks for the tips Whattteva.;)

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
If you have at least somehow "intelligent" router, just forward transmission management port to your PC with static IP. Then you will be able to access transmission GUI only from that PC.

Anyway the main thing is that you should separate "public" network (for the customers) and your private network at the first place to avoid randomly kiddoz hacking your NAS :]

Whattteva

Wizard
There is also the Transmission configuration options on Freenas GUI to do that, instead of proceed on the dark side.
But thanks for the tips Whattteva.;)

Oh, sorry lol. I didn't know there is a way to do it from the GUI.

SmallGuy

Guru
Oh, sorry lol. I didn't know there is a way to do it from the GUI.
Your advices will be usefull for the famous "umask=0" setting, as it seems it isn't set at 0 by defaut and isn't accessible thru the options configuration GUI settings.

Whattteva

Wizard
@Akhademik I think that this post http://forums.freenas.org/threads/cannot-add-mount-point-to-transmission.14307/#post-74993was really useless for you....i'm sad, all my time wasted(as expected)
Probably because you listed links where he actually has to read and learn stuff instead of a step-by-step instruction to do that one thing he wants? I dunno... that would be my guess.

Instructions on vi editor, in particular, tend to discourage newbies. Hence, why I opted to use ee instead in my instructions several posts earlier.

I try to keep things simple as most people probably are not interested in learning what makes the OS tick under the hood... There are exceptions, but I'd guess the majority just wants to configure it once and leave it alone once it's running.

Akhademik

Explorer

Whattteva

Wizard
Don't bother cause sooner or later i have to deal with command line in shell. Love to know the procedure.
That's the attitude! Just come here whenever you're stuck and you'll learn a lot little by little. That's how I did it, anyway.

Whattteva

Wizard
I read that, i tried but i'm stuck on how to find the settings.json . except that i made my transmission work cause i've learnt how to make a dir, how to map a drive and how to change permission for the download folder.
I assume that you got that resolved with the command I told you to run?
Code:

Akhademik

Explorer
Probably because you listed links where he actually has to read and learn stuff instead of a step-by-step instruction to do that one thing he wants? I dunno... that would be my guess.

Instructions on vi editor, in particular, tend to discourage newbies. Hence, why I opted to use ee instead in my instructions several posts earlier.

I try to keep things simple as most people probably are not interested in learning what makes the OS tick under the hood... There are exceptions, but I'd guess the majority just wants to configure it once and leave it alone once it's running.
It's not actually like that, cause what he told me finally help me to make my transmission work. But i think the link more or less for the person with average knowledge about unix command. I can't find setting.json how can i edit that with vi or even ee. i know how to get into one jail folder but i don't know how to get back to the main folder, that's the big problem (lately i found out cd .. command )

Akhademik

Explorer
I assume that you got that resolved with the command I told you to run?
Code:
Absolutely. I mean when i read the link he gave me, there's no command to locate the file that's the reason why i have to start another topic to ask.

Whattteva

Wizard
Great, so I take it you have no further issues to work through?