Transmission exposed !

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
/<transmission_path>/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json

John M. Długosz

Contributor
Let's say i have a family run hotel. I have 3 rooms for me, parents and brother. So i do have a wifi connection with password for my customers. That's how they connect to the network for the first place.

Get a WiFi box that supports "guest Internet access". Signing in to one access point, which you secure in the usual way, lets you see the LAN. Signing in to the other, which uses a short password you give to your guests with the key, does not access the LAN but only the Internet connection.

clemo

Cadet
Finding and editing settings.json is easy, now that I found my way around.
  1. grant write permissions for "other" to transmission jail's dataset. These permissions reset anyway after i turn transmission pugin back on (must be off to preserve edited changes)
  2. have a share that leads to transmission "home" (currently on FreeNas 11.2 that is /mnt/<my_pool>/iocage/jails/transmission/root/usr/local/etc/transmission/home/). Normally it is human-inaccessible at all. Settings.json is here and now can be edited-overwritten
What I don't know is how I type the password. Settings reference says it is a string, but it is always hashed. When I retype it here, I lose access to transmission via anything.