Configuring Email alerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcat

Cadet
Hi all,

Very basic question but I should be missing something to set up Email alerts on Freenas 8.0:
- I set the Email in 'My account>Change Admin User>Email' to a valid Gmail user (I assume this is the recepient of the alerts)
- I filled up the form in 'System>Settings>Email' with Gmail smtp server, tried various authentification methods (none, SSL, TLS... with the appropriate port)

and the 'Send Test Mail' always hit into the error message "Your test email could not be sent: please run connect() first"

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

BTW, are there other options for tuning Email alerts? Do S.M.A.R.T events trigger alerts?

Thanks

esamett

Patron
The developers told me that there is some bug in the email notification system when I reported a problem a few weeks ago.

esamett

Patron
To quote the last words heard from the first Death Star in StarWars: "please stand by."

joeschmuck

Old Man
And I thought I was going crazy because I thought I had read people using the email reporting system.

jim82

Dabbler
I'm having the same problem. Mails are being sent to "root@freenas.local" in stead of a user defineable option.

ProtoSD

MVP
There's two things here.

1) After you put you email settings in, click SAVE first, then try TEST

2) Supposedly if you change the email address for root (not admin), the "root@freenas.local" should go away, but that didn't happen for me and a couple other people. I cheated and edited the database, but if you change the email address for root and it doesn't work, it should be fixed when 8.01 is released.

Do a search, I just explained in another thread how to setup email notification with SMART, although it doesn't work right yet, it should be fixed in 8.01 also. If you do a TEST email, it works, but if your drive has an error, it doesn't send anything, at least not so far.

UPDATE: Here's the other thread http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?821-HDD-Fail-Notification...

Status
Not open for further replies.