SOLVED FreeNAS Email Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Elliott

Dabbler
I installed FreeNAS on a DIY computer last week. I have transfered about 0.5 TB of files to it and verified them. It seems to be working. However, email is not working. I filled in all the fields on the Settings/SSL page, but neither Outlook or my backup program, which also sends email, requires that, so I have no idea if it is useful.
I set up the FreeNAS email settings exactly the same as for my backup program and Outlook:
From email: me@verizon.net
Outgoing mail server: outgoing.verizon.net
Port to connect to: 465
TLS/SSL: ssl
Use SMTP Authentication: Check
Username: me
Password: password
The root user is configured with the same email address as above.

Test emails aren't going thru; the error is "Your test email could not be sent: (500, '5.7.0 Unknown AUTH error -1 (Internal authentication error).')"

Outlook and my backup program use POP3/SMTP protocol, while FreeNAS uses jut SMTP, if that makes any difference.

Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong?

Charles Elliott

Dabbler
From Verizon's website, the outgoing mail server should be "smtp.verizon.net" not "outgoing.verizon.net.
See here: https://www.verizon.com/ForYourHome/VZRepair/vziha/Service.aspx?ihaweb=EmailAccountsAndSettings
Hope this helps,
Chris

That's it! You are a miracle worker!

I don't understand. Since the beginning of time, outgoing has always been outgoing.verizon.net, and incoming has always been incoming.verizon.net. Outlook still works with the old settings. Anyway, FreeNAS now sends email.

Many, many thanks for your prompt and accurate help!

cmfisher4

Explorer
No, not a miracle worker. But, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Glad it worked for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.