Configure FTP accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonandermb

Explorer
Hi!
I have been using Freenas on a server for some months now and I couldn't be happier.
Now, I want to expand the usage of the system and add a ftp server.

The setup would be as follows: There is a folder, say: /mnt/STORAGE/FTP/ where all the ftp accounts will be hanging from.

So, user jon will have his folder at /mnt/STORAGE/FTP/jon , chrooted so he can not go to the upper level.
Then, I would share /mnt/STORAGE/FTP/ via samba so everyone in my internal network can see and edit all the directories and folders hanging from here.

In a nutshell: Each user that connects via FTP from the outside will only see their home directories, but accessing from inside, via samba, I want to be able to see what has been uploaded by anyone.

Until now, I have been creating users and setting their home directory to /mnt/STORAGE/FTP/<username> but this would mess with the permissions and the samba user wouldn't be able to modify anything under each user's home dir.
Also, when setting the home directory, some hidden files (starting with a dot) are created, which seems unclean.

I ask for your help because I guess I'm not taking the correct approach.
What would you suggest me is the correct way of setting this up?

Thanks!!!

panz

Guru
Documentation suggests that you should create a specific ZFS dataset for each user.

Then, I suppose, from the Samba side, you access them putting you - as user - as a member of each user group.

jonandermb

Explorer
Well, but one samba share for each dataset? or can I just share all the datasets through one samba share?

jonandermb

Explorer
One last question: is there any way to monitor the current ftpserver activity? I mean, see who is connected and what is being downloaded or uploaded. Overall, I think a general status window in order to report all the current connections stabilised for every service would be nice. Who is connected to iscsi, who is connected via samba, or afp.... It would be a great way to audit the usage of the server... Just be able to have more information available

Status
Not open for further replies.