Force FTP User & Anonymous Access to Same Dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDKAOD

Dabbler
Hey all, I have a strange setup that I'm trying to work out.

I have box that I would like to place files for customer retrieval in. Rather than go through the hoops of trying to get my clients to understand how to use an FTP client to retrieve their files, I'd love to be able to place the files in the anonymous FTP home directory (/mnt/Volume0/FTP/OutgoingFTP) using a local user (OutgoingFTP) while retaining full permissions to user OutgoingFTP.

I want to send a link to my clients stating that their file may be retrieved at ftp://ftp.website.com/clientfile.zip without requiring formatting like ftp://user:pass@ftp.website.com/client.zip

So, to achieve that, I need to assign the local user the proper permissions to the dataset, however, the anonymous user isn't able to see anything in that folder.

I think the problem is that the GUI doesn't support multiple user permissions for a volume.

Long question long at this point, do I have do do this manually through the terminal, or is there something I'm missing in setting this up.

Thanks!

MDKAOD

Dabbler
Anyone have any insight?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry, but permissions are a problem you can't just cookbook from the forums. It's something you have to understand and apply for your own situation. If you look around very very few posts are answers if the problem even appears to have a permissions issue. There's so many ways I can tell you to do it and you still get a non-viable setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.