Cloud backup for zfs rebuild

JonM

Dabbler
Hello all,

So I'm looking to add a couple of disks to my 4 disk raidz, now I know so far that raidz expansion without doing bad things with vdevs hasn't arrived yet and is probably about another year away so I'm looking at other options.

Favourite option I'm thinking of so far is back-up the whole pool to some cloud storage (probably azure) destroy the raid, make a new one with the new disks included and bring everything down again.

This brings up a few questions that I'm not sure how to answer though.

1. What's the best way to send everything, from a single pool to azure?
2. How would I go about ensuring my jails are safe, obviously the jail data would be on the pool. But how do I make freenas "see" the jail again after bringing the data back and putting it in my new pool?
3. Anything I've missed or forgot to consider? Or suggestions on better ways to do this?

Many, many thanks for your help in advance,
Jon

Dice

Wizard
3. Are you aware you could just add another vdev of 4 disks, a long side your existing vdev in that pool?

JonM

Dabbler
Yeah, I would go for that but my case is a 6 slot :( Also, the perfectionist in me wouldn't be happy with the setup... no particular reason for this, just me being picky haha.

Or if I bought a big enough USB HDD... I could back up to that. But the questions around restoring the jails remain though. Something around importing snapshots of them from external storage maybe?