Clarification needed for Azure Blob Cloud Sync

vegeta4ss

Cadet
Hi everyone,

Thanks for allowing me to join your community. I was hoping someone had a second to help clarify how the cloud sync task works so that I can revise my existing Azure strategy.

I've built a Truenas Scale server for my main office to replace a windows file server. The windows file server used Azure recovery services agent and wrote to recovery service vaults where we defined retention policies for Y/M/D backups to retain.

I've created a storage account and the sync tasks to populate some blob containers with the same data I was backing up from the windows file server. My cloud sync tasks are push/copy because my intention is to keep everything for safety.

If i'm using a general-purpose v2 cool storage blob (not a special append type) is the COPY cloud sync operation going to overwrite everything in my blob from the previous run (with the exception of files that no longer exist on the source disk)? Or is it going to see that most of this data is identical and skip that workload? Knowing this will help me estimate how much data to expect to be written (and avoiding bill surprises next month).

If I turn on blob versioning and change my task to SYNC then will this be the most efficient way to capture changes without pushing the entire dataset again? The versioning will give me access to files that may accidentally have been deleted. This would be the method with the least transactions in theory.

My main goal here is to leverage cheaper Azure tiers and keep my bill under control. Azure is effectively our 3rd safety net so it really is rare that we restore from there. I'm considering the rsync flag to write directly to archive or using lifecycle management to take my containers and move them to archive after 1-2 days. However, reading about the penalties behind changing access tiers makes me think penalty costs will add up quickly.

Perhaps my entire approach to this is wrong, if so please educate me on what I could do better.

Or maybe I need to look at something other than Azure? I use backblaze at home and love it. But all providers are bound to the same cloud sync task parameters so i'm not sure changing hosts will help me out.

Have any of you had this same Azure migration scenario?