CIFS shares keep disconnecting. Access denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjiki

Cadet
Any time my computer reboots or goes to sleep, I get a message stating that my Windows 7 computer can't reconnect my mapped network drives (a RAIDZ pool and a single disk). They show up under My Computer, but when I go to click on them, I get an error with one that says "Z:\ is not accessible. Access is denied.". The other has a red X over the drive icon and gives an error that says: "An error occurred while reconnecting Y: to \\192.168.1.x\jbod. Microsoft Windows Network: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again. This connection has not been restored."

I'm usually able to have both drives up at the same time. They both have different users as owners to prevent that second error. I backup my really important data from Z: to Y: using Synctoy.

Maybe I set up users wrong. I did read that your user name is supposed to be the same as your Windows name. Is this correct? If so, I've done it wrong this whole time. Will I need to do that same for my Linux computer as well? I hope somebody can help. I'm getting tired of having to remove and remap these drives every time.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your users are not setup wrong. Everything is exactly correct. It's actually an issue with how Windows handles security for file shares. If you were using something that isn't a MS product you'd never have that issue. The easiest way is to reboot. You shouldn't be having to remap them every time.

kenjiki

Cadet
I fixed the issue. I just changed permissions to make myself the owner of the root partition and restarted the CIFS share. I'm not sure why it won't let me set the /mnt/mystuff to nobody/nogroup owners. I also don't understand why, when I go to delete something from one of my folders, Windows tells me I need permission from myself to do that. It doesn't give me the option to login or anything. I have to use Unix permissions instead of just Windows because I have a Linux machine on the network that also uses the NAS.

praecorloth

Contributor
I fixed the issue. I just changed permissions to make myself the owner of the root partition and restarted the CIFS share. I'm not sure why it won't let me set the /mnt/mystuff to nobody/nogroup owners.

Ah, I see what you did there. nobody and nogroup are a special, gimp'd user and group. Rather than telling FreeNAS that you don't want an owner or a group owner, you're telling FreeNAS that a gimpy user and gimpy group own the directory. If you don't want to authenticate to gain access to the share, you might consider playing with the Guest Only option in the CIFS settings.

Alternately, if you create a user in FreeNAS that has the same username/password as what you use for Windows, Windows will automatically pass that to FreeNAS when you try to connect.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I fixed the issue. I just changed permissions to make myself the owner of the root partition and restarted the CIFS share. I'm not sure why it won't let me set the /mnt/mystuff to nobody/nogroup owners. I also don't understand why, when I go to delete something from one of my folders, Windows tells me I need permission from myself to do that. It doesn't give me the option to login or anything. I have to use Unix permissions instead of just Windows because I have a Linux machine on the network that also uses the NAS.

This is interesting. I'm definitely going to have to check out my config. The situation you were originally having I have had with FreeNAS as well as Windows File Servers on a domain. Hmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.