SMB Share Access Denied on One Computer Windows 10

kwlabs

Cadet
I am a new to TrueNAS and just built a new server running the latest TrueNAS Core 12.0-u7. I have created several samba shares and created several users/groups. The ACL's for the shares are setup for group access. The client computers are all Windows 10 Pro, all running latest updates, no domain, using windows firewall. I have a unique user in TrueNAS for each computer.

I am able to access the shares on all computers except for one which fails with "Access Denied". This problem seems to be with the one computer since I can access the share using the same user on a apple laptop. I have even tested a known working user and still get "Access Denied".

So far I have:
-Disabled SMB 1
-Cleared all Windows Credentials.
-Added prefix to the username: NasName\username
-Restarted computer
-Made sure the widows user accounts are local. The computers were originally setup with a single microsoft account (non local) using different pins for all the computers which gave me problems accessing the shares until I converted them to local accounts.

Here is what shows up in the samba logs:

../../source3/smbd/service.c:169(chdir_current_service)
chdir_current_service: vfs_ChDir(/mnt/share/employees) failed: Permission denied. Current token: uid=65534, gid=65534, 5 groups: 546 65534 90000019 90000020 90000003

{"timestamp", "type": "Authentication", "Authentication": {"version": {"major": 1, "minor": 2}, "eventId": 4625, "logonId": "0", "logonType": 3, "status": "NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER", "localAddress": "ipv4:X.X.X.X:445", "remoteAddress": "ipv4:X.X.X.X:49844", "serviceDescription": "SMB2", "authDescription": null, "clientDomain": "DESKTOP", "clientAccount": "bob", "workstation": "DESKTOP", "becameAccount": null, "becameDomain": null, "becameSid": null, "mappedAccount": "bob", "mappedDomain": "DESKTOP", "netlogonComputer": null, "netlogonTrustAccount": null, "netlogonNegotiateFlags": "0x00000000", "netlogonSecureChannelType": 0, "netlogonTrustAccountSid": null, "passwordType": "NTLMv2", "duration": 2967}}

I will either get an: "Access Denied" Error
or:
"\\SERVER\employees is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again"

I work with Linux primarily so I may be missing something simple, but I have searched through the forums here and elsewhere without success... I am hoping someone else ran into this problem and can help me.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
hi
did you solve it?? I have the same issue here
What's the same issue? Access denied from Windows can mean a lot of different things. Above user shows logs indicating guest account failing to access share path:
Code:
../../source3/smbd/service.c:169(chdir_current_service)
chdir_current_service: vfs_ChDir(/mnt/share/employees) failed: Permission denied. Current token: uid=65534, gid=65534, 5 groups: 546 65534 90000019 90000020 90000003

This almost always means user either lacks execute permissions on /mnt/share or /mnt/share/employees. uid 65534 is the "nobody" user which typically gets assigned to a guest account.

P0PC47

Dabbler
Hey,

I have an older laptop/server attached to my network with a similar issue. All permissions in TrueNAS have been triple checked for the SMB share and my other PCs are able to access the NAS share, just this one laptop with the "Access Denied'' error. Is there something in the registry that needs to be changed?
This laptop has gone from Windows 7 -> 11 so I wouldn't be surprised if something changed along the way. I've had to change settings on my desktop ages ago but that was when I was confused with guest access which has since been disabled

Many thanks

1670123654980.png

^before typing in password
1670123744032.png

^after typing in password
again, all steps work on other PCs on the network