Access denied when connecting to share

somonenew

Dabbler
Hello,
I am brand new to FreeNAS.. I have created a share. When I try to connect to it from Windows i get the login box and when I enter my userrname and password I get the following error:

\\192.168.1.115 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator to find out if you have access permissions.

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name is not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server and try again.

somonenew

Dabbler
I have tried to enable guest access and I get the same message (but does not bring up the login box)

melloa

Wizard
Not a lot to go by to help you. Read this and if won't help, please provide your server configuration, shares configuration, from where you are trying to access them, etc.

somonenew

Dabbler
Hello have tried whats in the document and it does not work. All I am doing is creating a share and when I try to connect it asks for a username and password but no matter what creds I use I get access denied.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Verify that your user has traverse rights along the full path to the share. I.e. if the share is "/mnt/tank/foo/bar", your user needs execute (x) on
/mnt/tank
/mnt/tank/foo
/mnt/tank/foo/bar

melloa

Wizard
Hello have tried whats in the document and it does not work. All I am doing is creating a share and when I try to connect it asks for a username and password but no matter what creds I use I get access denied.

See below, the folks here need more to be able to help.

please provide your server configuration, shares configuration, from where you are trying to access them, etc.

somonenew

Dabbler
Verify that your user has traverse rights along the full path to the share. I.e. if the share is "/mnt/tank/foo/bar", your user needs execute (x) on
/mnt/tank
/mnt/tank/foo
/mnt/tank/foo/bar

Dont even know what that means. I get the same error no matter if I login as a user or root.

somonenew

Dabbler
See below, the folks here need more to be able to help.

its a virtual machine running on Hyper-V (Tried on ESXI and still the same thing).
trying to connect to it from Windows 10 Pro.

I created a pool and then a dataset under that (called General) . Then I created a share to General and trying to connect using

\\192.168.1.11\general.

I get the error immediatly if I have guest turned on, and I get a login box if no guest. When I login it gives same errror.

What else do you need ?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
its a virtual machine running on Hyper-V (Tried on ESXI and still the same thing).
trying to connect to it from Windows 10 Pro.

I created a pool and then a dataset under that (called General) . Then I created a share to General and trying to connect using

\\192.168.1.11\general.

I get the error immediatly if I have guest turned on, and I get a login box if no guest. When I login it gives same errror.
Guest access doesn't work in modern windows without changing registry settings, and so that's not surprising.
don't even know what that means. I get the same error no matter if I login as a user or root.
This is no different than on windows. You need to verify your user has traverse rights to the share.
getfacl /mnt/<pool>
getfacl /mnt/<pool>/<dataset>

somonenew

Dabbler
Guest access doesn't work in modern windows without changing registry settings, and so that's not surprising.

This is no different than on windows. You need to verify your user has traverse rights to the share.
getfacl /mnt/<pool>
getfacl /mnt/<pool>/<dataset>

Ok what I mean though is I dont know where I am supposed to issue those commands. do I do it from Windows or from the Nas Drive somewhere. do I need to logged in as the user etc.

somonenew

Dabbler
Ok I tried that and this is what I get for the pool

1573055412933.png

And this for the dataset

somonenew

Dabbler
when I try and connect, using //192.168.1.111/general. It asks for a username and password.

If I enter my username and password or the root it comes back with access denied errorr.

somonenew

Dabbler
Ok thats not working .. I get the mesage saying malformed ACL invalid tag field

This is what I have

setfacl -m everyone@rxaRc:d:allow /mnt/office

somonenew

Dabbler
It's missing a colon setfacl -m everyone@:rxaRc:d:allow /mnt/office

Thanks but that still does not work. when I try \\192.168.1.111\general

The network credentials box appears. and even before I type any thing it says the username and password is not correct.. No matter what I enter in there it says the same

1573062125696.png

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Creating a share isn't that complicated.
1) create user in UI
2) create dataset, and configure so that new user owns dataset
3) create share pointing to dataset
4) use credentials from (1) to authenticate to a share.

Old guides recommend setting guest access to simplify this. Guest access no longer works in many cases due to changes in MacOS and Windows. Guest sessions lack encryption and signing and so they tend to get dropped. The guest options will probably be removed in FreeNAS 12 because of the amount of user confusion they cause.

The screenshots you posted showed that the default permissions on the root dataset of the pool had been modified so that only (probably) root:wheel could access any data. This tends to break things (including share access). This is pretty much true for any OS. You can restore the permissions on the root of the pool by running the commands: setfacl -b /mnt/<pool> and then chmod 755 /mnt/<pool>. Then you should ensure that you're only sharing out datasets under that location, and that the datasets are owned by the user or group you created.