CIFS Share: Write Permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oguruma

Patron
I have just added and mapped my first dataset (runnning Freenas 9.3). I cannot write to the dataset, however. I am assuming that I screwed something up, although I followed the tutorial from the Youtube video. When I attempt to write to the dataset, I get "You need permission to perform this action". I get what I believe is the OSX version of this error message on my Macbook, but exactly what that error message is escapes me.

The following blocks are checked under Sharing:
Apply default permissions
Allow guest access
Browsable to network clients

For storage permissions:
Apply Owner(User)
Owner(User): Root
Apply Owner(Group)
Owner(Group):Wheel
Permission Type:Windows

I am not seeing any options that I could possibly change to enable write permissions, but I am sure that I am missing something. Any ideas?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have just added and mapped my first dataset (runnning Freenas 9.3). I cannot write to the dataset, however. I am assuming that I screwed something up, although I followed the tutorial from the Youtube video. When I attempt to write to the dataset, I get "You need permission to perform this action". I get what I believe is the OSX version of this error message on my Macbook, but exactly what that error message is escapes me.

The following blocks are checked under Sharing:
Apply default permissions
Allow guest access
Browsable to network clients

For storage permissions:
Apply Owner(User)
Owner(User): Root
Apply Owner(Group)
Owner(Group):Wheel
Permission Type:Windows

I am not seeing any options that I could possibly change to enable write permissions, but I am sure that I am missing something. Any ideas?
Well, if you don't care about password authentication, one option is to do the following:
  • Check the box in the share config " only allow guest access" (or something like that).
  • Change the dataset so that it's owned by your guest user (default is 'nobody'. You can verify under 'services' -> 'CIFS')
  • Log out and log back in to client computer.
Of course, if this is for a business and you are their IT staff, you are doing them a vast disservice if you disable authentication in this way. :D

For home users it's more in the 'meh' territory.

m0nkey_

MVP

I created a video on this topic a couple of weeks ago that might help: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-freenas-and-samba-cifs-permissions-video.41210/

Status
Not open for further replies.