Need help with shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas.arnard

Dabbler
I have made a share but keep getting "You need permission to perform this action" every time I try to move a file in to the share. I have listed everything I did step by step. Right now what I am wanting is to just be about to move file in to the share and let some different see them. After I can get that, I need to get it working with AD.

1. made a vol:

Name: RBH

Made it a Raid Z with 4 2TB hard drives.

2. Made a Dataset:

Name: RBH

Compression Level: Inherit(lz4)

Share type: Unix

Case Sensitivity: Insensitive

Enable Atime: Inherit

ZFS Deduplication: Inherit (off)

3.Made a user:

User ID: 1001

Username Everyone

Create a new group for user: checked

Primary group: nothing

Create Home Dir In: /mnt/RBH

Shell: csh

Full name Everyone

Email: nothing

Password: nothing

Password confi: nothing

Disable password: checked

Lock user: unchecked

Permit Sudo: unchecked

Microsoft Account: unchecked

SSH Public Key: nothing

Auxiliary groups: nothing added

4. I go to groups:

Group ID: 1001

Group Name Everyone

Permit Sudo: unchecked

5. I go to /MNT/RBH change Permissions

Apply owner: checked

Owner: everyone

Apply owner (group): checked

Owner (group):everyone

Apply Mode: checked

Mode: All boxes checked

Permission Type:

Set Permission Recursively: unchecked

6. I go to add Windows (CIFS) Share:

In Advanced Mode:

Path: /mnt/RBH/RBH/test

Use as home Share: unchecked

Name: test

Comment: nothing

Apply Default Permissions: checked

Export Read Only: unchecked

Browsable to Network Clients: checked

Export Recycle Bin: unchecked

Show Hidden Files: unchecked

Allow Guest Access: checked

Only Allow Guest Access: unchecked

Host Allow: nothing

Host Deny: nothing

VFS Objects: nothing

Periodic Snapshot task: nothing

Auxiliary Parameters: nothing

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What user is logging into the share?

Thomas.arnard

Dabbler
SweetAndLow thank you for your reply! It is not asking for a user name and password. I am Logged in to this computer though AD. what am i doing wrong?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The user that logs into the share should be the everyone user and you are logging in with the ad user. That is why permissions are failing.

Or you can give others write access to the test directory.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
You have your dataset set up as Unix instead of Windows, and nowhere in the permissions do you give any windows users access ("everyone" doesn't cover AD users in my experience) . Try creating a Windows dataset, and setting permissions as Owner: Root and Group: YourDomainName/DomainAdmins (or DomainUsers, if they should all have access).

Then follow this post to fine tune the permissions:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/cifs-tips-and-tricks.34995/#post-211047

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You probably shouldn't enable guest access on work shares. Guest access in samba can create more headaches than it's worth. Anyone with a bad username will get mapped to the guest account and cause endless tickets of the sort "I keep getting access denied".

Thomas.arnard

Dabbler
Thank you to all thous that have replied, you have helped out so much. But I have more questions.

So I got it work using AD users and groups. At first I put my self a the owner and a group call AR (AR has 3 users). I was able to move file to and from the share. Thing is, Other user in the AR group can't do anything with the share. I don't understand why the users in the group can't get in to the share

Also, when I change some in the GUI it change the share,vol, or data set right away, right?

Last thing, In the share window, in advanced mode, how do you use the Hosts Allow? I tried to put just the user that I wanted to have access to the share but it did not work.

Thomas.arnard

Dabbler
depasseg I followed the post you linked about the permissions. Every time I try to change the permissions it tells me "changes cannot be saved. access is denied" I know I am missing one little thing , I just dont know what it is.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
When you changed the owner and group settings in the FreeNAS Permissions, did you apply them recursively?

Thomas.arnard

Dabbler
depasseg, again thank you for the help. I now have the NAS set so that everyone get in. But, when i go in to the Computer Management Console, like the post you like said to, it keeps giving me "Changes cannot be saved. Access is denied." Can you help me?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I'm not certain, but it sounds like a permission issue at the root share level.

I would create a test share and play around with the owner and group to see what works, before applying it to the real share.

Status
Not open for further replies.