CIFS permissions not working properly since upgrade to 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirach Matthews

Dabbler
Hi:

I recently upgraded from 9.2.1.7 to 9.3, and ever since, I have been unable to access my CIFS share from my Windows PC. Here's what I get when I try:
upload_2015-1-25_21-29-10.png

I've tried user name: root along with the apropriate password, to no avail. Given the example above, I even tried navigating to \\freenas\, and instead of seeing a list of CIFS shares, I get the same request for a User name and Password.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It's odd that you are using 'root' for your cifs user. There may be no entry in samba's passdb for root.

Try creating a user, making it owner of the shares (recursively and through the GUI), and applying default permissions to the share.

Sirach Matthews

Dabbler
'root' is not my CIFS user, it is simply the name of the CIFS share. I did try as you suggested, but Windows still throws me the log-in box. It had been set up to match my Windows user/pw. I'll try again, and see how it goes.

Sirach Matthews

Dabbler
I tried again. The PW dialog comes up even when I try navigating to \\freenas\ in Windows Explorer, to look up the list of available shares.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Does this happen if you make a share that's not called root? I can imagine that name being problematic.

jlpellet

Patron
Some questions come to mind. Hope this helps.
1. what user/group owns the volume (permissions) & is it as intended?
2. For CIFS, what user/group is set as guest?
3. For the share, are you allowing guest or only allowing guest?

Sirach Matthews

Dabbler
OK, here's the skinny.

No matter what I did, I could not get CIFS to function. I even tried resetting the service, but the service failed to terminate. Next, I restarted services using:
Code:
service -R

I was still unable to control the CIFS service, so I rebooted via the GUI. Still no response on the service.

By happy accident, I had shut down my freeNAS unit for maintenance (i.e. adding another HDD).
When I booted up, I noticed the CIFS service was off, so I created a new CIFS share on the new drive, and it prompted me to turn on the service. Of course, I said YES! The new share on the new volume worked fine, but I still could not access my old shares which were pointing to the original volume.

I looked over the CIFS share settings for non-working share again, and noticed a new option which was checked, when I hadn't checked it [Use as home share]. I unchecked it, and once again had access to my original CIFS shares.

The two problems were:
  1. Unable to access CIFS share due to [Use as home share] having been checked somehow; and
  2. Unable to turn CIFS service off due to as yet unknown reason.
The Solutions to the two problems were:
  1. Unchecked [Use as home share] in CIFS share settings; and
  2. Performed a hard reboot, Vs a soft reboot.
Thanks again, and I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.