CIFS busted after upgrade to 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

qet

Cadet
Hi all

I upgraded to 9.3 and now CIFS sharing is broken.
From my windows computer, I cannot access \\nas, or \\nas\share
My computer will hang for about 10 minutes while it tries to connect to the NAS.
I can telnet to the NAS on ports 137, 138, 139, and SSH
I just want to have guest-only access, full read-write permissions for guest.

CIFS is enabled, I have tried the wizard, I have tried re-creating the guest account, and deleting and re-creating the shares. No dice

Any ideas?
Is there a log file somewhere I can look at to see what point Freenas is blocking the connection or something?

Thanks

D

dlavigne

/var/log/messages is the log file. However, it sounds like a DNS problem if it's hanging. For example, if you can connect using the IP address rather than the share name, you have a name resolution problem. To solve that, if there's a DNS server in the network, make sure there is an entry for the FreeNAS system in it. If there is no DNS server, you can add an entry for the Windows system in Network -> Global Configuration -> Host name database. You'll also need to add an entry to the hosts file on the windows system that points to the FreeNAS system.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Does your FreeNAS box have a static IP? Try using the nas IP address to mount the share.

mrsnrub

Cadet
I have just updated from FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501241715 to the current latest and am now experiencing the same problem. I can't access CIFS shares via hostname or IP address. It hangs for a while before advising the resource is not available. My PC is running Windows 8.1.

Rebooting back to the previous version restores everything as it should be.

Any suggestions as to where I should look?

diedrichg

Wizard
I have just updated from FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501241715 to the current latest and am now experiencing the same problem. I can't access CIFS shares via hostname or IP address. It hangs for a while before advising the resource is not available. My PC is running Windows 8.1.

Rebooting back to the previous version restores everything as it should be.

Any suggestions as to where I should look?
File a bug at https://bugs.freenas.org/

jlpellet

Patron
With my 5 FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503131709 installs, I am not having a CIFS issue. Can you access the GUI? Have you tried using an NFS share to confirm it is just the CIFS? Hope this helps.

mrsnrub

Cadet
I have created an NFS share in FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501241715 and it works as expected. I then rebooted in to current version and neither CIFS nor the NFS shares were accessible.

This box has been upgraded through numerous 8.x version until 9.2.1.9 then updated to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501241715 and all has worked flawlessly so not sure what has changed to stop the file shares from working.

I'll keep digging to see what I can find. Networking is definitely working as is DNS. I can access the web interface by hostname as well as ssh to hostname.

Last edited:

mrsnrub

Cadet
Have installed the latest build onto a fresh usb stick and replaced my hdd's with a couple of spares and ran the setup wizard and have exactly the same problem, CIFS and NFS don't work.

TonyNAS

Dabbler
I have the same problem... I think is clear that there is a bug in the 9.3 version.

foo

Cadet
Ditto here. I have the same problem. I can longer access CIFS shares with FreeNAS 9.3. I have tried sharing with different SMB versions too (going from 3 to 2) but this doesn't work either. Hope this gets fixed soon!

Is there a way to roll back to an earlier version? E.g. 9.2?

foo

Cadet
Update: CIFS are now working again! I noticed a new update had just come out- FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503270027

I applied this update and CIFS are now working again thank goodness! Hope this update helps other ppl having the same issue.

mrsnrub

Cadet
Thanks for the update, I have upgraded to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503270027 and CIFS and NFS are now working again.

sluggy

Dabbler
Yes at last cifs is fixed. It took a while but I can stop using my 2014 release.

qet

Cadet
Great, thanks for the update, it's all working now.
Autoupdate is awesome!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.