CIF Share without a Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAveJMathews

Cadet
Hey Everyone,

I am somewhat new to FreeNAS. I currently have two FreeNAS machines setup. The first is using the CIF share for a small remote office. It is wide open allowing all guest. It is working great as a public share dirive at my remote location, and was easy to map to this office over the VPN.

Now just a heads up I have two locations one with roughly 15 machines all running windows xp/vista/7. They are not on a Domain, just a workgroup sharing resources, as well as a VPN to this location to access our resources. they have one FreeNAS server that is open to everyone on the network, and mapped to the other location as well.

This Location I have roughly 35 machines again all running xp/vista/7. We do have SBS2008 but it is only utilized for a database. The database itself is also shared to the entire network not utilizing permissions or the domain. Only one machine is linked to the SBS2008 server and it is used to transfer e-mails into the database over Exchange.

The majority of my machines are Windows 7 Home Premium and do not have access to the domain without an upgrade, This is the way it was when I came in and its a small company that has boomed quickly so really a year ago there was no need for a true domain.

*** To the Issue at hand. I have now setup another FreeNAS machine for sharing at both locations. It consist of 2 mounted drives. One drive is another open share to the entire network. The second drive I was trying to utilize usernames and passwords to protect it. I have gone through various setup pages online but can not tell if a Domain is required to password protect a CIF share. I do not have the AD or LDAP services turned on at all. The domain was left at the default "local" setting for the freenas. I am able to access the "Open -guest access" drive just fine.

However when I try to log into the drive with permissions set to a Group and Users added to the group also using the drive as the home directory, I am getting no where. In windows 7 the login screen pops up and I enter the Username and Password as it was saved in FreeNAS and I get access denied. It is showing the Domain as the Netbios name of the specific computer and just going in this endless loop.

For instance my Netbios name is DAVE on the network, My username is also DAVE for FreeNAS. Now when I login it shoots out DAVE/DAVE Access is denied.

Just based on some of the people i see using FreeNAS for a home file server maybe i assumed a domain wouldn't be required for a password protected CIF share. Just trying to get some pointers or verification as to if it must be on a Domain.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

paleoN

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.