Cif or nfs share

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAZZA

Cadet
Hi,

Long story..

I am trying to create a Xenserver lab environment with FreeNas to continue with studying for the XS exam

Using my laptop (w7 pro, 1Tb 8gb ram) i am using VM Workstation to host XenServer and FreeNas. The problem i have is I don't know enough about creating volumes and shares in NFS Unix the documentation and screenshots dont show examples of paths and when I try to create a volume I get the following error. The path must reside within a volume mount point

I would like to know how to create CIF and NFS share and how to work out the path
Using release 9.2.1.x64 FreeNAS

fazza

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. with "the path inside a volume mount point" meaning your storage space.... aka your pool.. aka /mnt/yourpoolname.

Not really sure why you are confused. Have you consulted the documentation on doc.freenas.org? The PDF is a great thing to print out and 3-hole punch.

marcevan

Patron
Win 7 Pro does not have services for Unix when you check Windows features. You need Enterprise or Ultimate.

So there is no included NFS ability in Win Pro.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Windows NFS service is complete crap too. When I tested it I couldn't get 20MB/sec. On linux, over 300MB/sec.
Bottom line.. if you are on Windows stick with CIFS!

marcevan

Patron
Adding some more color:

With a Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit PC, I did 6 NFS shares as mount -o mtype=hard and after several reboots it was chancy getting them all back. Some did, some didn't. Speed of high folder share like music was very good but moving data to an NFS share was slow (as expected) but pulling a file was ~100MB/s. Anyway, even after turning off CIFs service the mounts all tried to remount and fail every time I rebooted. Was no way to unmount -a or -f to get rid of them.

I'm staying away though. CIFs on Win7 Pro is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.