Creating shares to be accessed by CIF and NFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
If I knew how to do this using BSD, I wouldn't be asking. If you know how why don't you tell me how?
If you want to know how to do it in FreeBSD, I suggest Google. If you want to use FreeNAS, I suggest following the Docs: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_sharing.html#unix-nfs-shares

It's very simple to create an NFS share and a CIFS share that both point to the same folder. As people have tried to tell you above though, it's a horrible idea and can lead to data loss unless you configure one of them as read only.

jluvs2ride

Dabbler
If you want to know how to do it in FreeBSD, I suggest Google. If you want to use FreeNAS, I suggest following the Docs: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_sharing.html#unix-nfs-shares

It's very simple to create an NFS share and a CIFS share that both point to the same folder. As people have tried to tell you above though, it's a horrible idea and can lead to data loss unless you configure one of them as read only.

My NFS exports will be read only.

jluvs2ride

Dabbler
I have setup both NFS and CIFS shares that both point to the same folders. I figure to get CIFS working first. From my Windows laptop I can open \\Prometheous\ and see the subordinate folders. However if I try to copy a file to one of the folders I get a permission denied.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If I knew how to do this using BSD, I wouldn't be asking. If you know how why don't you tell me how?
Glorious1, gave you the answer in post 6. Just implement NFS to be read only, implement CIFS as you like and the reason you can't write to the CIFS now is down to permissions.
Get the permissions sorted so that you can write and you are done.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm really not interested in being told all the reasons I shouldn't be doing this. If the software isn't capable, that is one thing. However at least one person says that they are using FreeNAS to do this very thing.

If you want Yes-men, go find an MBA from a shoddy MBA factory and pay him a grand or two a month to sit around and/or follow you around saying YES! to every horrible idea you come up with.

If you want answers, pay attention when told something is a bad idea. It's not a challenge for the average user (FreeBSD devs, feel free to see this as a challenge - arbitrating between protocols would be super cool), it's sound advice.

jluvs2ride

Dabbler
If you want Yes-men, go find an MBA from a shoddy MBA factory and pay him a grand or two a month to sit around and/or follow you around saying YES! to every horrible idea you come up with.

If you want answers, pay attention when told something is a bad idea. It's not a challenge for the average user (FreeBSD devs, feel free to see this as a challenge - arbitrating between protocols would be super cool), it's sound advice.

Thank you for your non contribution.

jluvs2ride

Dabbler
Alright, here is what I don't understand. I created a folder /mnt/Media/Photos. Owner (user): is root, Owner (group): is wheel. I created a user; jay and added this user to the wheel group. I can browse the folder from my windows PC but I cannot copy a file to the folder. I get a "You need Permission to perform this action". jay is the user ID logged into the windows PC, it's in the Owner (group) of the destination folder. This doesn't make sense to me.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You need to give group write permissions on the directory.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Correct is in the eye of the beholder.

Glorious1

Guru
Thank you for your non contribution.
jluvs, you are systematically dismissing and alienating some of the biggest contributors, most knowledgeable, and most helpful people on this site. I strongly suggest you lose the cocky attitude and adopt a bit of humility if you want to learn anything here.

jluvs2ride

Dabbler
jluvs, you are systematically dismissing and alienating some of the biggest contributors, most knowledgeable, and most helpful people on this site. I strongly suggest you lose the cocky attitude and adopt a bit of humility if you want to learn anything here.

It isn't my intent to alienate anyone I am just trying to get answers to my questions. I’ll admit to some impatience with posts that I didn't consider especially helpful since I never asked for reasons why I shouldn't do this.

Sweet and Low was helpful and your post was very helpful in confirming that it could be done, and to take the precaution of making the NFS exports read only which is probably unnecessary as the RPis never write anything anyway. However you made reference to a post by CyberJock that I never saw in my view of this thread. If he posted something helpful that I missed, I’m sorry I missed it.

All this may have been due to the way I worded the original post. Posters may not have understood that I was looking for help in implementing this and not trying to start a discussion as to whether I should.

rogerh

Guru
It isn't my intent to alienate anyone I am just trying to get answers to my questions. I’ll admit to some impatience with posts that I didn't consider especially helpful since I never asked for reasons why I shouldn't do this.

Sweet and Low was helpful and your post was very helpful in confirming that it could be done, and to take the precaution of making the NFS exports read only which is probably unnecessary as the RPis never write anything anyway. However you made reference to a post by CyberJock that I never saw in my view of this thread. If he posted something helpful that I missed, I’m sorry I missed it.

All this may have been due to the way I worded the original post. Posters may not have understood that I was looking for help in implementing this and not trying to start a discussion as to whether I should.

I think it is definitely unreasonable and probably irrational to expect that a group of experts will meekly tell you how to do something and be too embarrassed (on their own forum!) to point out their opinion of what you are doing. Do not forget, this is not a private support ticket, it is a public forum; at least as important as advising you is advising other readers who may be researching the topic as to the best course of action, and why this is so. I am a mere home FreeNAS user, and you are completely free to like, dislike or insult my contribution to a public forum.

jluvs2ride

Dabbler
I think it is definitely unreasonable and probably irrational to expect that a group of experts will meekly tell you how to do something and be too embarrassed (on their own forum!) to point out their opinion of what you are doing. Do not forget, this is not a private support ticket, it is a public forum; at least as important as advising you is advising other readers who may be researching the topic as to the best course of action, and why this is so. I am a mere home FreeNAS user, and you are completely free to like, dislike or insult my contribution to a public forum.

With my previous post, I really was trying to get this all back on track.

jluvs2ride

Dabbler
Thanks to SweetandLow I resolved the rather simple permission issue and I'm able to copy my media to the respective shares from my Windows laptop using CIFS.

NFS was still a challenge, as far as I could tell I had the exports set up properly but the OSMC browser on my Raspberry PI setup couldn't even see the NFS server.

After a little work I ran the command showmount -e (FreeNAS IP) on the Raspberry PI and confirmed that the exports seemed to be out there and available so it seems that for some reason FreeNAS doesn't announce the presence of the NFS server on the network, or at least in way that allows the OSMC browser to see it.

So, I did some more searching and ran across a similar problem in this community.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-with-xbmc-internal-nfs-client.21721/

Bottom line is that FreeNAS NFS exports won't be visible to the OSMC or RASPBMC browser. To add them as sources, requires manually editing the sources.xml file on the Raspberry PI. Do that and reboot the PI and everything is golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.