nôôb: Filesystems, shares and RAID-options

Status
Not open for further replies.

unca_NAS

Explorer
As Im slowly setting my 1st NAS up (HP Proliant N36L Microserver, 4 x 2TB HD, 8 Gb RAM) I'n still somewhat puzzled which would be the best configuration (RAID 5 vs RAIDZ*, NFS vs CIFS shares) for me?
I'm hoping the final config to be::
- reasonably fast on transferring data
- more than reasonably reliable on saving the data
- relatively easy access
- option to expand the size of the vault (the server has eSata-plug - can it be used on expanding?)

The NAS is to serve primarly as a storage, since my media player (PCH-C200) can stream and play the media files. Other computers on the household are two Win7 laptops (1 x Enterprise with NFS client/server, 1 x Professional [no NFS] and a Android-phone) If the NAS can be easily set up as a torrent-client, fine, but thats not a necessity since the Transmission-client works on media-player too (although its dl speeds could be better)

When testing the transfer-speeds, CIFS works best when transforming data NAS <> laptop (60-70MB/s) and NFS between NAS and laptop performs about half of it. Transfer speeds between NAS <> PCH I haven't yet measured.

Appreciating any thoughts/pointers/ideas :)

unca_NAS

Explorer
What is the question ?

"I'm still somewhat puzzled which would be the best configuration (RAID 5 vs RAIDZ*, NFS vs CIFS shares) for me?"

peterh

Patron
raidz equals raid5. cifs is usually done with microsoft computers, nfs by unix or when more speed is needed.

Do read the freenas documentatio, it gives a fairly good primer on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.