Permissions issue, files not executable on CIF shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyfox

Explorer
Hoping someone can help, I have searched and search, but can't seem to see where I have gone wrong with this.

Basically, when I copy a EXE file to any of my shares, the EXE is not executable until I manually change the security of the file to select 'Read & execute'. Really it should have that selected when I copy the file over.

I have three CIF shares.

Private
Media

The CIF Share setting are below.
share.PNG

The Storage Share settings:
storage.PNG

and the user settings:
user.PNG

Although I have listed only the Share options, this occurs on all my shares. I have upgraded to FreeNAS 9.2.1.2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Skyfox

Skyfox

Explorer
No one able to help with this? Surely it's just a setting I'm overlooking.

Cheers!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No one able to help with this? Surely it's just a setting I'm overlooking.

Cheers!

It's not that nobody is able to help, it's that permissions issues are summarily ignored by the experts here. Permissions are something you have to figure out for yourself. Even if you said "hey, I'll give you direct access to my server" that just means I'll spend the next 5hours to 3 days helping you. And that's precisely whey the experts here(who are also unpaid volunteers) don't even consider responding to permissions threads.

Sorry, but you're on your own.

alexg

Contributor
Have you tried going into shell and review how it is set using getfacl. Perhaps freenas didn't set inheritance correctly. Copy EXE file and see what it set to from shell.

Skyfox

Explorer
Thanks for responding Alex.

Here is a getfacl shot of a newly created file.

getfacl.PNG

I notice that the file is not executable. However, below is that of a file created on the Share by a computer NOT logged in and has been created as the 'nobody' user.

getfacl2.PNG

It seems to have the correct permissions. So somewhere along the way I have setup my 'ian' account up wrong. But I can't see it.

I may have had issues with inheritance when first setting it up. I notice my 'Inherit Permissions' is not checked in the CIF share settings, is this meant to be checked?

Thanks again!
Skyfox

alexg

Contributor
Check your facl at share level. Does it have inheritance set? I've got to tell you that I understand where cyberjock is coming from. Permission topics(especially if you use ACL) are really complicated and I can only give you some ideas where to look. I've spent numerous hours playing with them to figure out how I want them. Create a dummy share and play around with FREENAS GUI settings, then review them using GETFACL, and you can try SETFACL to change them the way you want. Keep in mind that I have no idea if using SETFACL would create some sort of conflicts with GUI values. Perhaps cyberjock can comment on that.

Skyfox

Explorer
Let's leave cyberjock out of this shall we, he obviously has no patience for noobs.

Ok, you've pointed out that this isn't a simple fix as I was hoping. I will spend some more time just messing about with this and create a dummy share as you suggested.

Can you answer a couple of questions. What do you mean by 'Check it at share level' and 'Does it have inheritance set'?

alexg

Contributor
Here is my example. My shares are owned by admin (or you can use root) and I have a group called shareusers. ":fd----" means to inherit file and directory permissions. Keep in mind, this is how I decided to set this up and you will need to determine if this is applicable for you.

Code:
# file: Photos                                                                                                                   
# owner: admin                                                                                                                   
# group: shareusers                                                                                                             
            owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd----:allow                                                                                   
            group@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:fd----:allow                                                                                   
        everyone@:r-x---a-R-c--s:------:allow                                                                                      

If you want to read-up on how they work, Oracle Solaris guide has good explanation, but commands in freenas could be slightly different.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18752_01/html/819-5461/gbacb.html#gbaay

Skyfox

Explorer
I have been meaning to get into Linux, all this has convinced me further.

Anyway, I may have solved the mystery.

There is an option when creating a ZFS Dataset labelled 'Share type'. I do not recall this being there when I first installed FreeNAS 9.0, and hence when all my Datasets where first created.
zfsdataset.PNG

All my datasets are set to UNIX.

So I created a 'Test' Dataset and set it to UNIX. Same issue.
I then created a 'Test2' Dataset and set it to WINDOWS. Now the permissions works perfectly.

Now this seems obvious you say. But I really do not recall that 'Share type' option being there. Is it new or have I just missed it? (Just looking through the FreeNAS documents and came across this screenshot. So doesn't look like it used to be there.)

New question, using the GUI it doesn't seem possible to switch the 'Share type' to WINDOWS. Is there a way to switch them without deleting the whole dataset?

alexg

Contributor
Share type has always been there. I can't answer your switch question. Try searching forums. I'm newbie in FreeNas, but have many years of experience in Unix.

Skyfox

Explorer
You're right. Although the 'Share type' option wasn't there. The 'Type of ACL' option was elsewhere. I had it selected to Unix because I had read somewhere that said only use Windows if I used active directory, which I don't. I must have misread.

Yes, have been able to change the datasets now.

Thanks again for your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.