Can't upgrade to 9.3 because CIFS services won't shut off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phak1

Dabbler
I currently am using Freenas 9.2.1.5 and I would like to upgrade to 9.3. The upgrade instructions say to shut off all services and I can't shut off CIFS. I get the error "This service could not be stopped." Any Suggestions?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just reboot. That will kill the services. ;)

Phak1

Dabbler
I rebooted, tried to shut off CIFS and got the same error. Is it safe to upgrade even though the services are still on?

Phak1

Dabbler
No, I didn't remove the shares. If I did, would that mean I would have to set them up again?

solarisguy

Guru
No, I didn't remove the shares. If I did, would that mean I would have to set them up again?
Yes, you would need to set them up again, but you would be able to stop the CIFS service after removing shares.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just upgrade, leave the shares and leave the service running. You'll be fine. :)

Phak1

Dabbler
I took a different approach to upgrade. I really liked the idea of having a mirrored boot drive that so I purchased (2) new Sandisk 16GB Ultra Fit USB thumb drives, saved the config, then did a fresh install on one of the thumb drives. I booted the system, reinstalled the config the mirrored the other thumb drive.

So far everything seems to be fine.

I want to thank everybody involved in this thread. This forum is awesome for newbies like me.

solarisguy

Guru
When installing FreeNAS, you can just select two devices and FreeNAS will mirror them automagically for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.