9.3 Upgrade Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_sherman

Dabbler
Hi All,

I have recently upgraded my FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 installation to version 9.3 using the GUI upgrade package. All went well and the NAS rebooted automatically when the installation completed. During the next reboot I saw a number of errors relating to "gpart failed". When I tried to reboot the NAS a second time when it tries to boot off it's USB drive I get the "This is a NAS data disk and can not boot system. System halted"

Any suggestions as to how I can get this NAS restarted?

Thanks,

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That's interesting. This seems to imply the grub-install didn't take to your devices.

Your pool should be safe.

I recommend make a brand new boot device, from the ISO in download.freenas.org for 9.3 STABLE...and if you have your config file .db backed up (which you SHOULD have, because when you attempting the GUI upgrade, it told you to do this), then you'll be in business.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That does sound like something went terribly wrong. Was your flash device sufficiently large?

I just finished stepping one of our filers from 9.2.1.5 up to 9.2.1.9 and then over to 9.3 and it worked quite well. I was impressed.

dr_sherman

Dabbler
So a quick update: I managed to restore the configuration and pool by installing to a new USB drive. Interestingly when I tried a clean install to the original drive it failed with the same error. For reference it is a Corsair Flash Voyager 3.0 drive. I wonder if the drive itself has failed or more likely if there is some sort of compatibility issue with 9.3 since I have never experienced this issue before.

Secondly, I am now applying the latest 9.3 (stable) updates within the Web GUI and it has been stuck on "Installing base os (1/3)" for over an hour. I am beginning to really regret updating to 9.3...

Apollo

Wizard
Hi All,

"This is a NAS data disk and can not boot system. System halted"

Thanks,
Check your boot priority. It seems to me the BIOS is trying to boot from your data pool rather than the USB Boot.
Either edit your BIOS boot sequence or select an alternate Boot manually on startup.

dr_sherman

Dabbler
Check your boot priority. It seems to me the BIOS is trying to boot from your data pool rather than the USB Boot.
Either edit your BIOS boot sequence or select an alternate Boot manually on startup.

Hi Apollo, this wasn't the issue since I was booting off the correct device.

Thanks,

jgreco

Resident Grinch

That does not seem to match the problem description. If the USB got wedged or the BIOS had some other reason to eliminate the candidate device, this is what would result.

IonutS

Cadet
Hi, it seems I have the same issue after a GUI upgrade from 9.2.1.8 to 9.3. However, I didn't save the config file :( *puts on stupid hat*
Is there any chance I can extract the freenas-v1.db file from the thumb drive? I suppose the config file is transferred when the upgrade takes place...
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.