Help - completely uninstall FreeNas 9.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Main63

Cadet
Hi there - Is there a manual/How-to completely uninstall 9.3? During the initial installation, I installed 9.3 using a USB hard-drive. I've been able to access the FreeNas network via IP address but I have not configure or completely gone through the initial setup wizard. That said, I would like to revert back to Windows 7 - every time I try to boot up - I get the following message "this is a NAS data disk.....system halted". I can't access Windows to uninstall 9.3 - any suggestions or help tips would be greatly appreciated? Thank you.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You left a Windows disk in the system?? You don't use Windows to install FreeNAS so I don't understand why you would use Windows to uninstall.

It sounds like you converted your Windows disk to a FreeNAS data disk. If that is the case, kiss your Windows goodbye....

You don't 'uninstall' FreeNAS. You just unplug the USB drive and format the disks to be used in another OS.

Main63

Cadet
I downloaded FreeNas 9.3 and burned it onto a CD. During the install, I had installed onto the USB drive. I unplugged the USB drive but somehow my Windows is still not booting. I've hit F12 to access and change the boot sequence but the system is "locked" up when the system halted message appears.

Sounds to me like you install it to a USB drive and ran it on your desktop computer(not inside of a VM). I hope it didn't format your desktop hard drive!

9C1 Newbee

Patron
If you created a FreeNAS pool and included your hard drive with windows on it, you will need to reinstall windows.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
unplug your usb HDD and the usb you installed freenas onto. Sounds like your bios is trying to boot from the wrong drive or worst case you overwrote the drive that had windows installed on it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
To perhaps clarify--the message you're getting is what happens when your machine tries to boot from one of your pool's data disks. Uninstalling FreeNAS itself is as simple as it gets--just unplug the USB drive. When you were running FreeNAS and created your pool, you told it which disks to include, and if you included your Windows system drive, then FreeNAS would have repartitioned and reformatted that drive. However, FreeNAS usually won't reformat a disk that already has a partition table and filesystem on it.

Make sure everything is unplugged except your Windows disk and try to boot again. If you still get that message, you'll need to reformat and reinstall Windows. If not, you can then use Windows to repartition and reformat any other disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.