Can't start Plugins service - "Service could not be started"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancsrick

Dabbler
I'm trying to get upnp set up on FreeNAS 8.2.0 release, but can't get the plugins service running full stop at the moment. I've set up the jail, which hasn't given me any errors, but when I go to Control Services and try to turn Plugins on, it pauses, then gives me an error message at the top of the screen in a green box stating "The service could not be started". Any suggestions, or any way I can get a more helpful error message?

Thanks!!

huangfen

Cadet
今天我也碰到了这个问题

I'm trying to get upnp set up on FreeNAS 8.2.0 release, but can't get the plugins service running full stop at the moment. I've set up the jail, which hasn't given me any errors, but when I go to Control Services and try to turn Plugins on, it pauses, then gives me an error message at the top of the screen in a green box stating "The service could not be started". Any suggestions, or any way I can get a more helpful error message?

Thanks!!

我也碰到了这个问题。不过已经解决了。
首先,检查您使用的语言,将之改成英语。其次,将在不是英文语言下创建的zfs磁盘分区删除,然后重建。
最后,按手册上的步骤重建插件服务。

my english is bad . so please use google translate upon into english.

any question please add mine qq:43405030 .

hope this can help you!

ProtoSD

MVP
我也碰到了这个问题。不过已经解决了。
首先,检查您使用的语言,将之改成英语。其次,将在不是英文语言下创建的zfs磁盘分区删除,然后重建。
最后,按手册上的步骤重建插件服务。

my english is bad . so please use google translate upon into english.

any question please add mine qq:43405030 .

hope this can help you!

Forums rules: Please reply in English, unless you are in a forum for a specific language

Memnoch

Dabbler
Hello, I'm in the same position where I simply get a message stating plugins couldn't be started from the services tab.

Hardware is a Dell Dimension E521 with AMD 64 CPU and 512MB of RAM (little light... I know, but it was free lol!). HDDs are 2 SATA drives, one USB stick (other than the FreeNAS one) and one external HDD on USB. Obviously with the RAM being so limited I'm not using ZFS.

What I tried doing is use the 16GB USB stick at the Jail and 40GB external drive for the Plugins.

This is also my first experience outside Windows (well... since DOS 6.22 was cutting edge ;) ) or with any Unix like OS so if there's something I need to post for someone to be able to help, please, just let me know and I'll do my best to find it! :)

ProtoSD

MVP
What plugins are you trying to use?

My first piece of advice is stop using a USB flash drive for your Jail and external drive for your plugins. Its a big waste and will ruin your flash drive quickly.

Are you using UFS or ZFS for your filesystem?

Did you click on Plugins on the tree menu on the left and then click the plugin and edit/save the settings? You have to do that first or the plugin(s) won't start.

Memnoch

Dabbler
Ideally I'd like to be able to install MiniDNLA and Transmission, but as of so far I can't even get the service to start lol. I have this nagging feeling I MUST have missed a step or not understood something.

Fair enough about the USB's. Could that be the issue? I'll see what I can do about clearing up HDD space and installing to a directory instead of the volume. I get that the writes will be hard on the flash drive, but how is the external drive a waste? It's a very old IDE drive and my mobo doesn't have an IDE controller, figured I might be able to get a little extra life out of it this way ;). On the other hand if you figure the USB aspect is the issue then I guess that's out the window!

Using UFS since I have so little RAM.

When I click on the Plugins tree the only options I have are management/settings. I'm assuming that's because I don't actually have a plugin installed or even been able to turn on the service. When I click on Settings all that happens is it tries to set up the jail again. For the heck of it, I went through the steps again and got an error saying something about it existing already.

Thank you for the help here, I REALLY want to get rid of my D-Link NAS (won't even get into the issues I've had with it) and have been wanting to learn a new OS for a while now.

Memnoch

Dabbler
Sep 10 22:07:44 freenas notifier: Will not 'start' jail because jail_enable is NO.
Sep 10 22:07:44 freenas ix-jail: Could not determine jail id (not running?)

Just found this in the console messages... so yeah... I'll do a little searching on how to enable it.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hmmm, looks like the docs are missing a screenshot for turning on the plugin service.

Go to "Control Services", scroll down til you see Plugins, and click the red OFF button and wait til it turn On/Blue.

See if that helps ;)

Memnoch

Dabbler
That's where the issue is, it won't turn on lol ;). I click on the red off button and the message at the top of the second snip pops up saying the service couldn't be started.
Plugins 1.jpg Plugins2.jpg Plugins3.jpg

Memnoch

Dabbler
Ok, so it appears the issue with starting the Plugin service due to having it installed on a USB Flash drive... No clue why, but I'll take it lol ;)! So got it installed and the Jail up and running with Minidnla and transmission installed and turned on.

I did however decide to keep the external HDD, like I said above, it's an old IDE and I don't have an IDE controller on my board (or room for the drive in my case)... but until it presents a problem I may as well get as much use out of it as possible.

Thanks for the help, I'll probably be back later, got to do the brakes on my car and then I'll try and configure the plugins... my cursory look at the setting left me wanting to read the documentation and probably find some tutorials lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.