SOLVED Can't run DHCP client on multiple interfaces/VLANs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mriswithe

Cadet
Quick question, but I can't seem to google my way to an answer regarding this. If there is a cut/dried answer, a link to it would definitely suffice!

I have my FreeNAS set up on a trunked interface, and I wanted to have it communicate on multiple VLANs, which it can. My issue is that I can't run DHCP on more than one interface. I have a PFSense machine that can act as the gateway, but the only issue is that it has a single gigabit interface while my FreeNAS has a 3 interface LAGG set up, so I would be bottlenecking myself a lot to let the PFSense machine pass traffic back and forth. I prefer to control my IP address allocation all in the pfsense machine, as opposed to statically assigning IPs on the machines themselves.

Is there a good reason I am not seeing to disallow the dhcp client to run on multiple interfaces? Is there a way around it? I am trying to avoid modifying the OS directly, as from my limited poking it looks like a lot of the settings/configs are saved in an SQLite DB, so my changes likely wouldn't persist over a reboot.

I know I would need to set a primary gateway device (at least this is necessary in Linux/RHEL), so that it knows which gateway is primary overall. I am not sure how that is accomplished in FreeBSD/FreeNAS, but would be willing to dig into that.

Any information here would be appreciated. Obviously I could make an exception and statically assign the IPs for my FreeNAS box, but I would prefer to avoid that.

Thanks,
Mriswithe

Mriswithe

Cadet
From https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/7734
FreeBSD does not support DHCP on multiple interfaces very well, therefor the GUI doesn't allow it. I'll close the bug that allows you to DHCP multiple interfaces from the CLI.

Ahhh I see, the problem is that FreeBSD doesn't really play nice that way. Ok, that is an answer I can deal with. I will just have to set static IPs then. Not my favorite solution, but not worth the hassle I think to try and make it work. Thanks for the quick and helpful response!

Status
Not open for further replies.