Can't get plugin services to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjm3992

Cadet
I've been having a lot of trouble with plugins not installing properly, etc... now I finally have all the plugins I need installed and I believe set up properly. However, I can't seem to get ANY plugins to actually start in the plugins menu. I click the "Off" switch to turn it on, and I get an error at the top that says simply "Some error has occurred". This hasn't been very helpful in finding a solution. I'm fairly new to Freenas, so any help would be appreciated.

D

dlavigne

Which version of FreeNAS? Any related messages in /var/log/messages? Did you configure the plugins before trying to start them?

bjm3992

Cadet
I'm running "FreeNAS-9.2.1.7-RELEASE-x64". I had trouble with the plugins right off the start...I couldn't get them to download properly. The download dialog came up for a minute or two, and then disappeared. I would try to install a second time, and it seemed to resume the install from wherever it stopped. I finally got the plugins installed, and set them up to the best of my ability...as I said, I'm new to Freenas. I noticed the plugins were showing in my "installed" list, but not in the tree menu on the left. After setting up the plugins, I went to start them, and at the top I got the message "some error has occured". At the bottom I saw something about error 502, bad gateway, but I believe I have my network settings set correctly.

Thanks in advance.

D

dlavigne

Were you able to resolve this? If not, something is funky in the networking somewhere. Old ARP entries or another system on the network receiving a duplicate IP address from the DHCP server are common causes.

bjm3992

Cadet
Were you able to resolve this? If not, something is funky in the networking somewhere. Old ARP entries or another system on the network receiving a duplicate IP address from the DHCP server are common causes.

I still have not been able to resolve this. The server is working great as far as just plain storage goes, but I'd really like to have streaming capabilities, and other features only available with plugins.. I just don't know enough about Freenas to be able to diagnose the issue. I've read pages upon pages but I just can't seem to put together a solution. This was a clean installation, I installed, configured, and went straight to the plugin setup. As I said, when they installed they showed up under "installed", but did not show in the tree menu. I also had issues downloading and installing the plugins to begin with. They would only download partially, and I would have to click "install" again to force it to resume, several times before it actually installed. Maybe something corrupted because of the partial downloads? Or maybe there are file fragments conflicting with it? I have 2 laptops, 2 desktops, a tablet, an Xbox 360 and 2-3 phones on this network at any given time. Would setting static IP's on all of those be worth trying? Just to resolve any IP conflicts?

D

dlavigne

Any luck on this yet?

Looking towards the future, the upcoming 9.3 will resolve a lot of these weird issues as DHCP jails will be supported which should prevent most of the networking conflicts users have experienced.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
/smh

going back to DHCP jails now? /sigh

cyberjock

Inactive Account
We used to have DHCP based jails. The problem is that every time they start they got a different MAC address. If you run DHCP this is a fail because you can never guess what the MAC address would be, so each time you start a jail you get a new IP. For jails that require port forwarding from your firewall (like Plex) this makes them utterly useless as the IP is always changing.

Also for anyone that actually wants to access the http://jail.ip/something you have to constantly keep track of which jail is which as they are always changing.

For reasons I didn't understand and still don't, every time you start a jail you had/have no choice on what MAC to set. So you got what you got, which made them useless.

The solution... go to static IPs. Then you can be sure that your plex server is always .100, your mumble server is .101, etc.

Now we're either taking a step backwards or something has changed and now we can do DHCP with static MAC addresses. :p

All of my jails *depend* on having a static IP. I can set it via DHCP or via static ip in FreeNAS WebGUI, but if it's going to be an always-changing revolving door I can go ahead and shutdown my jails now because they will be useless to me in 9.3.

D

dlavigne

Thanks, I include that recommendation in the updated jail docs.

The flip-side is that users with long leases and 1 jail/plugin for home use should experience far less networking weirdness...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What recommendation? I wasn't recommending anything......

Did I miss something in this conversation???

cyberjock

Inactive Account

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
I'm having a similar issue. I have installed SABnzbd through the GUI. I have my jail range set to 10.0.1.200+ and the IP for SAB is set to 10.0.1.221 but I can't access the web UI. The odd thing is I have Plex installed with an IP of .221 and I can reach that. So why is it that one plugin works and not the other? It seems any new plugins I try to create have the same issue. Couchpotato, Sickbeard, after installing the PBI, I can't reach the web UI.

sremick

Patron
I'm having this issue as well. I just set up FreeNAS on a test laptop. I installed one plugin... Plex... and had it working at that site. Once I had the laptop all working fine, I did a proper shutdown and brought it home. I booted the laptop connected via a wired connection to my router, and I was able to get to the FreeNAS web config. But the Plex plugin won't stop, and every attempt to start it results in that "Some error occurred" message. Thoughts?

Update: I tried deleting the plugin and starting over. Same problem: plugin won't even start. So in this case, the only difference is my network versus the other network. So it suggests there's something odd going on in my network. Can't imagine what, but ok, I'll accept that for now... but I need something more than "Some error occurred" in order to figure out what the Plex plugin has a problem with. Help?

Last edited:

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
Oddly enough a reboot fixed my issue. I'd tried this in the past, but apparently this time it worked.

sremick

Patron
Oddly enough a reboot fixed my issue. I'd tried this in the past, but apparently this time it worked.
I've tried rebooting, both before and after removing and reinstalling the plugin. Hasn't helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.