can't find freenas on any of my computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

konfuze

Cadet
Hey all,

I've installed FreeNas on an old computer.
The computer consists of;
- Intel pentium 4 3.2GHz 32bit
- 1518mb of DDR2 RAM
- 2 HDD's, (80GB/200GB)

Now I know it's recommended that you use a 64bit cpu but for now i'm just trying to get it to work.
After it works ill buy a whole new configuration and install FreeNas on that.
But I can't get it to work, FreeNas won't show up in my network on all my computers.
I've followed different guides over the internet, reinstalled FreeNas, put it back to default settings but none seem to work.
Can anyone help me ? I really need to get this thing to work.
It's like a small school project.

Thanks in advance

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, I don't think you're going to be getting enough help to get it working. What you have said is basically the car analogy of "my car won't start.. can someone tell me what's wrong?"

Unfortunately, unless you can help identify what in particular is not working right besides "its broken", you aren't likely to resolve your problem.

Edit: I'm not sure what your plans are, but 1.5GB of RAM is quite a but short for even a test system. I don't think I've seen systems run without problems with less than 2GB, and with ZFS you shouldn't have anything less than 8GB. This is not just for performance, but to prevent processes from crashing from insufficient RAM and kernel panics.

konfuze

Cadet
Thanks for the reply, well i'm a total noob at this as you can see.
But i do know that the hardware is not what it's supposed to be.
Maybe i should just run it virtually.
I just want to test this so i can buy the new hardware for it. So I could do my school's project about it.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
your first step should be understanding basic networking and your network topology.

then verify settings in FreeNAS in CIFS service: workgroup, auth model, netbios name, etc
then verify your shares are configured properly

Status
Not open for further replies.