2 Computers, 1 NAS - How?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

i am completely new to this system, but i have read some pages of the manual.
I am planning to build a NAS, based on the Asus E35M-I with 3 2TB harddisks.
At the moment, i have understood how to install it- but...

I want a NAS to store data from 2 Computers (1 Notebook, 1 Desktop Computer- both Win7).
If i am in the university i want to write sth. and store it on the SSD in my Laptop (no connection to my freenas at home). Afterwards at home i want to edit the file with my desktop computer. The laptop will be now in the same network as my computer.

Is this possible? Will Freenas make this link between my two systems?
In the manual i have found sth. like: Shadow Copy or Samba- is that's the snag?!

Sorry for this (perhaps silly) question, but i can't imagine how this link will be made between the NAS and my two computers...
Even how this will func. with only one computer, i have no idea. Will Freenas check all the time the HD in my Computer and takes all changed-files?
If someone can enlighten me, that would be great :smile:

thx,

Hobbit_mit_Streitaxt

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So.. it sounds like you have data on your server and you want to have access to it on your laptop. You'll update it on your laptop while not at home, but when you get home you want the files to update on the server, right?

If this is what you want, you have 2 options.

1. Copy the updated files back and forth manually to and from the laptop. Likely keep 2 copies of the applicable data. One on your laptop and one on your server. You could use an xcopy script on the windows 7 machine to always update files based on date modified.
2. Use a service like Google Drive or Dropbox. Your data is kept in the cloud and automatically synced with the cloud when your computer connects to the internet the next time.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Or you could use any of the file synchronization options people have been using for years, because by this time, it's a Very Solved Problem. This doesn't necessarily require a NAS device. Unison, Intellisync, Reconcile.

Or, if you're going to have Internet service in both locations, you could set up a VPN server at home, which would allow you to securely connect your laptop at school to your network at home, so that you could access files on the NAS directly.

Or any one of many other variations on the things people do to manage remote access to their data.

There's a significant plus side to figuring out how to make this happen: a laptop is vulnerable to theft, failure, etc. so finding a strategy that makes sense in your environment is meaningful and important.

Lady Di

Cadet
Hi, I am brand new, here. I think my question is simple, I just need to know if it can be done, and that I would enjoy researching how to do it. I need to know if I can connect two PCs with one PC (old) using FreeNAS and the other PC(new) without using FreeNAS and use all of the functions of FreeNAS as normal, as intended. Can this be done? YES or NO. Thanks so much, I appreciate any feedback you give me. You don't even have to tell me how to do it, just let me know if it can be done. Enjoy your night!!

gpsguy

Sure it can be done! You even thanked me in another thread on the subject: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...s-to-pc-no-router-or-switch.12170/#post-56424

It looks like the linked URL no longer works. But, all you need to do is set static IP addresses on both the client and the server.

Note: the mods would have preferred that you create a new thread, rather than resurrect a 4 year old one.

Welcome to the forums and stay warm!

Lady Di

Cadet
Sure it can be done! You even thanked me in another thread on the subject: https://forums.FreeNAS.org/index.ph...S-to-pc-no-router-or-switch.12170/#post-56424

It looks like the linked URL no longer works. But, all you need to do is set static IP addresses on both the client and the server.

Note: the mods would have preferred that you create a new thread, rather than resurrect a 4 year old one.

Welcome to the forums and stay warm!

Sounds so good...AAA-Okay and I thank you so much my kind sir...I just wanted to double-check so I figured I'd ask, right? Now, I can start looking stuff up to find out how to best do it. Thank you again, I appreciate your feedback. Next time, I will start a brand new conversation (or question etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.