Can ALL network computers access ALL data on NAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLStrand56

Cadet
Can I set up FreeNAS so that ALL data on the NAS, is accessible to All computers on the network?

I have a Netegear SC101 (2 x 500Gig RAID 1) that I used as a data drive for my laptop(s). The Netgear software only allows 1 computer per NAS partition.

I would like to have one large NAS Data Drive & have all computers on the network access all the data.

Does anybody have any experience with a Netgear SC101 NAS's?

MLStrand56

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The SC101 isn't a NAS, it's a SAN device. It is designed to store blocks of data (rather like iSCSI) rather than files of data (like a NAS). Attempting to abuse a SAN device as a NAS will often result in some lame shim that uses a host's filesystem code with the SAN device as the block storage device for it. This will generally not work out to allow more than one computer to access the data at a filesystem level reliably, since most filesystems are not designed for this. It probably allows multiple computers to access the data just fine, but it's going to fail as it doesn't work in the way the average user needs or expects.

FreeNAS is first and foremost a NAS, but can also act as an iSCSI SAN device for those of us who have a use for a mixed-mode device.

Status
Not open for further replies.