Can't delete files/folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

pclab

Cadet
Hi

I have this weird case: I need to delete some files/folders that were wrongly copied to the NAS.
These folders are the Programs and Windows folders that there are not need to copy.
The problem is that now, when I try to delete them, the system says that it can't delete because of the lenght of the name of the files and I don't have permissions or the files are in use.
I have tried with some software that claim to delete the kind of thinks, but none of them worked.
How can I delete these files?
Thank You

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I presume you are using Windows? This is a Windows limitation. There is no workaround that I am aware of. Your best solution is to go to the command line on your server and delete them locally.

As another option, you could bootup a Linux LiveCD and delete them from the shares since Linux doesn't have the same limitations. ;)

pclab

Cadet
Hi Cyberjock

Yes, it's a windows system.
I could try with a Live CD, good idea.
But about the terminal of the Nas, wich commands do I use?
I have tried to get that info, but I couldn't do it. I can browse trough the folders, but can't delete them.
Thank You

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Use "cd" to change to the directory you want. Then the "rm" command to remove files/directories. You can delete a directory and all subdirectories and files with 'rm -R'. Google for the manpages for rm on FreeBSD to get a list of all of the parameters.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Wow, Cyberjock, that was downright philanthropic!! Normally I'd have expected you to say in answer to this question: "Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ Take the WHEEL! You mean to tell me you're running a FreeNAS and don't have any idea how to change directories or delete files on a UNIX-type system? LOLOLOLOL"

You must be turning over a new leaf for 2014!

languy

Dabbler
Or you could if you wanted use a common windows trick to access files/paths that are too long. Map a drive to the share and then use the syntax \\?\<mapped drive letter>:\pathtoolongfolder\file.ext. That is, add a \\?\" to the full path to the file. This API allows Windows to access a file name that is up to 32000 characters in length. It's a pain in the butt, but doable. Otherwise drop to a shell on the FreeNAS box and remove it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.