How to delete files from deleted users

Jonathan .

Dabbler
I have just set up my FreeNAS and have made users and given them access to files to then decide to delete the users and am now unable to delete the files, is there a way for me to delete their folders?
Thanks in advance
Jonathan

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
use root to delete the files or a user that has permission to do so.

Jonathan .

Dabbler
I tried to log in with root on my laptop but it said the drive has been mapped by a different user and I need to stop using it first to login

Fredda

Guru
Parse error. Not sure what you tried.

What @SweetAndLow tried to tell you is login into your FreeNAS with ssh and become root (or use the GUI, select shell there),
navigate to the files and folders in question and delete them.

If you are not so familiar with a unix shell you might want to use the command "mc".

Evertb1

Guru
If your laptop runs Windows you could download WinSCP. But study it a bit befor you use it. With root credentials you can destroy about anything on you FreeNAS server.

Anyways, besides it acting as a more or less graphical interface to transfer files (FTP, SFTP, WebDAV etc.), it offers also a basic filemanager that will look somewhat familiar for a Windows user. With it you should be able to find those files and folders and delete them.

Don't be to trigger happy. With the console you need to formulate command lines and that forces you to think it over, with WinSCP you just need mouse clicks and delete commands to do the damage.

Jonathan .

Dabbler
Thanks for all the help I have managed to do what I intended.
Just as a side note I have set up the server for FTP and it is all working except when accessing it over FTP in file explorer when I double click on a file it downloads opposed to opening is there a way to set FTP up so that I can edit files without downloading and reuploading them.
Many thanks in advance

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thanks for all the help I have managed to do what I intended.
Just as a side note I have set up the server for FTP and it is all working except when accessing it over FTP in file explorer when I double click on a file it downloads opposed to opening is there a way to set FTP up so that I can edit files without downloading and reuploading them.
Many thanks in advance
No ftp just transfers files

Jonathan .

Dabbler