How to access files and/or users through shell?

Flybye

Dabbler
When looking at the FreeNAS through windows explorer, I have a few folders and files that I am unable to delete, and they have a nice X over their icon in windows explorer. When I try to delete, them I get error:

"An unexpected error is keeping you from deleting this file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem. Error 0x800710FE: This file is currently not available for use on this computer."

I did search for that error with FreeNAS, but I only came up to deadends. So I figured I'd try to delete them in the shell, but I can't even find what directory my user is or where those folders/files even are. I tried using the find command, but I found nothing. I even explored /mnt/[my hard drives] and there is nothing there. Using windows explorer, I can create additional folders and files in FreeNAS and delete them, but these other files and folders with the x over them I can't view or delete.

The only real change I made recently was swapping out a hard drive with another. I had 1 or 2 other users I was experimenting with that I deleted if that makes a difference. I do not have any snapshots.

Last edited:

JaimieV

Guru
Check the user's drive mounts in Windows, compare them with what's in the FreeNAS Sharing/Windows Shares - the Path column shows you where the drive's root is.

(If the share is actually iSCSI then you can't see into it on FreeNAS, you can only get to it from Windows - but I don't think that would ever show this error, so this probably isn't the case)

If you can without disruption, turn SMB sharing off an on again. If you can't, have the user disconnect and reconnect. Try the delete again, there may have been file locks in place. If that doesn't work then you have permissions or ownerships issues, but I couldn't say what - FreeNAS's SMB sharing is shifting around too much and I don't know what the current situation is, plus I only access my own SMB shares from Macs which are more simpleminded than Windows on permissions.

Flybye

Dabbler
I am sorry. My newbness totally shined with this question. Apparently, I was using an offline and unsynced mapped network drive that appears in Windows Explorer under This PC. I never even knew I could have an offline mapped network drive. I don't even remember how I could have enabled such a thing being that I would have preferred to not have access to a drive if the network drive is not available.

JaimieV

Guru
Wow, that's a blast from the past. I didn't realise Windows still did that either! Thought that was dead with... XP?

Flybye

Dabbler
Wow, that's a blast from the past. I didn't realise Windows still did that either! Thought that was dead with... XP?
No clue! I have never seen that option. Im on W10 where it happened. I mean it makes sense for
heavy travelers I suppose, but I’d never need it.