odd files in my media folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoSD

MVP
thomasdk81 - I posted that exact same link above in my post, but somehow it didn't get noticed.... Hopefully it helped you.

G

gcooper

In one (only one) of my media folders a list of files showed up four days ago (I just saw them now but the date says four days ago) they are.

.cshrc
.login
.login_conf
.mail_aliases
.mailrc
.profile
.rhosts
.shrc

How and why did they end up in there I have no idea. a little note is that I thought I had an intrusion of some kind last week.

Can I just delete them? what should I do. I'm a BSD illiterate.

These files are from the 'user template' that's defined in /usr/share/skel/ . It's more of a BSDism (and maybe a Solarisism) than it is a Linuxism.

G

gcooper

Joe: I'm sorry I wasn't clear about the home/user. it's actually /mnt/tank/home/user/ path for the users. As someone told earlier in the thread, I had to have a user folder for each users.

The reason for this is from what I understand that the user config files. the files I found that started the thread ended up where users can ftp-browse. I was told that that was bad (ofc it is) so I made user folders at /mnt/tank/home/ folder, and added that path as the home folder for my users. Turns out they end up their as well when they login through ftp.

I think everyone that responded to this thread is confused on what I'm trying to do here.

I want all users but me to end up in /mnt/tank/ftp/ when they login through ftp.
I don't want the "users config files" to end up in /mnt/tank/ftp/ which they do if you don't use an existing path

If I add a users and choose home directory as /mnt/tank/ftp/ the "strange files" ends up in /mnt/tank/ftp/
If I add a user with the standard /nonexistent folder as home directory I cannot login through ftp
If I add a user with /mnt/home/user/testuser/ as home folder, the "strange files" end up in that directory and also, I end up there when I login through ftp.

Soo. problem is. I want the "strange files" to end up in one place (I don't care really where, as long as it's safe) and the user when they login through ftp to end up in /mnt/tank/ftp/

How do I do this? I'm sorry if I come off as repetitive, but someone it seems to be a lot of confusion.

Ultimately, what you want is the ability to hide the 'dot files': http://www.proftpd.org/localsite/Userguide/linked/config_ref_ShowDotFiles.html

atrueresistance

Dabbler
ftp help

I am having some trouble with ftp access. I created a user in a mediauser group, and set the permissions accordingly. CIFS/SMB is working perfectly. When I log into the freenas box via ftp over tls I don't get the mounted /mnt/Partition1 like expecting. I get a listing with

.shrc
.rhosts
.profile
.mailrc
.mail_aliases
.login_conf
.login
.cshrc

The user is mapped to /mnt/Partition1 with the zfs volume having root(owner) mediauser(group owner) and full permissions for both. Does this ring a bell to anyone? Has anyone else had this issue before?

ProtoSD

MVP
Yes, there is another thread about this already. Let me find it and I'll post the link here or move this thread there, let me see.

Status
Not open for further replies.