Can't assign IP to my TrueNAS machine

zealios

Dabbler
Hey everyone, i recently connected my server (TrueNAS Core) to my primary router instead of the old wifi extender.
When i went to setup the network it had a new IP (10.212.x.x) and i tried assigning it a static IPv4, but i can't see it on my router or access it from my PC.
I tried using 192.168.0.x and i checked, and it should be in my routers range.
Do i need to setup a dynamic IP? Or how do i set it up correctly with a static IP?

Thank you :)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It's not impossible that your router is blocking IPs it hasn't assigned, so that may be it, but if not, are you following the test/save process correctly to apply the changes to assign the static address?

You need to make the changes, click on Test Changes, then within 60 seconds, come back and Save the changes (or they will be lost/reverted)

salman8506

Dabbler
I have put all ip's of truenas as static on my router, if your router is assigning different ip you can still make it assign what you want based on static allocation on Mac id.

zealios

Dabbler
I have put all ip's of truenas as static on my router, if your router is assigning different ip you can still make it assign what you want based on static allocation on Mac id.
But how do i find the mac address of the ip? I can't ping it.

zealios

Dabbler
It's not impossible that your router is blocking IPs it hasn't assigned, so that may be it, but if not, are you following the test/save process correctly to apply the changes to assign the static address?

You need to make the changes, click on Test Changes, then within 60 seconds, come back and Save the changes (or they will be lost/reverted)
Where do i press "Test changes"? It am just in the static screen of TrueNAS, not the WebGUI

salman8506

Dabbler
Do the things I said in your router...your router must be assigning an ip to the truenas core. If you can access the shell then you can reset the network settings for each nic

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Ah, you didn't mention you were in the console menu. Select option 9 to start a shell, and then run ifconfig -a | more. You'll be able to see the MAC addresses of all your interfaces.

zealios

Dabbler
Ah, you didn't mention you were in the console menu. Select option 9 to start a shell, and then run ifconfig -a | more. You'll be able to see the MAC addresses of all your interfaces.
I set a static ip for the ip i assigned to the server, and i used the mac address that i found running the command. Still no connection to the webGUI.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Are you sure you're plugged in to the correct port on your router? This sounds like you've got the wrong IP for that port's subnet.

zealios

Dabbler
Are you sure you're plugged in to the correct port on your router? This sounds like you've got the wrong IP for that port's subnet.
I plugged it in at a regular port 3 that is just ethernet, i don't think anything should be wrong.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Which IP and netmask did you set at the console?
Which IP and netmask does your desktop/laptop have where you try to connect to the web UI?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Looks good. What about a direct cable connection from desktop to TrueNAS?

zealios

Dabbler
I can try hooking it up to my laptop for testing, wont be able to do that for my main desktop tho.
I tried and it said the ethernet ip was the original 10.212.x.x even tho i changed it in network configuration? Did i do it wrong?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I tried and it said the ethernet ip was the original 10.212.x.x even tho i changed it in network configuration? Did i do it wrong?
Can you produce a series of screen shots or pictures taken with a camera, showing what exactly you are doing? This is supposed to work, plain and simple. And in the case of my installation it does.

zealios

Dabbler
IMG_20211208_182628.jpg
IMG_20211208_182642.jpg
IMG_20211208_182649.jpg
IMG_20211208_182656.jpg
IMG_20211208_182701.jpg
IMG_20211208_182733.jpg
IMG_20211208_182740.jpg