Can't access web GUI, but server running, jails working, can access storage

gsrcrxsi

Explorer
System specs:
Supermicro X7DA8+
32 GB DDR2 FBDIMM
2x Xeon E5440
8x 2TB drives in mirrored pair vdevs ("raid10")

So I've had a freenas server running for a while now. I set it up maybe like a year ago, configured a jail for openVPN for network access, configured the drive pool, setup some user accounts and haven't really touched it much since there. It's basically an appliance. I believe it's on 11.1-U7? I think. I know it's still on the old interface and not 11.2.

Now recently I tried to access the webGUI, and the page didn't load, until timing out. but remote access to the system is working via my OpenVPN jail. I can ping the server and it responds. the storage all also appears to be accessible with no problems.

I tried to access the system directly, and the management page when direct connected to the server says that the webgui couldn't be reached and to check the network. I started to try to check the network settings via the CLI, but it pretty much stopped responding after selecting the network interface to configure.

Now a few questions. I was planning to upgrade the hardware (MB/CPU/RAM) of this machine soon anyway. I do have a backup of the FreeNAS config from a few months ago (dont think anything has changed). And I think the flash drive running the system is bad or going bad. I've been afraid to reboot it lol.

In the event that the system wont boot back to freenas due to a bad USB drive, can I restore my settings from my backup of 11.1 if I fresh install 11.2? or will I have to re-install 11.1, import my config file, then upgrade? anything else I should worry about?

Sorry to reply to an old-ish thread, but I'm having the same issue. I was wondering if you ever found a solution or even an cause.

FWIW, I determined my issue was a failing boot drive. Once I replaced it (with mirrored boot drives this time), the issue seems to have gone away. Luckily, I had a fairly recent configuration back up to restore from.