Cannot delete files from jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwall

Dabbler
I'm running FreeNAS v8.3.1 with Transmission and recently I've not been able to delete files that were downloaded with Transmission to the share I've setup for it. When I try get a Windows message that says "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from Unix User\40001 to make changes to this folder..."

I did change the password for the admin user recently, I can't say for sure if this is when the problem started or not though.

I'm new to FreeBSD so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this so any ideas would be appreciated.

D

dlavigne

It's a permissions issue on the share. Make sure that the user has write permission on the parent folder.

jwall

Dabbler
I think this is a problem with Transmission, I can modify everything else in this share and folder except the files that Transmission downloaded to the mount point. I also have a problem with Transmission where I cannot remove the prompt for authentication when connecting to the web interface., no matter what I set the setting to using the web interface I'm always prompted for the password that I set a while ago.

I'm going to update my server to v9 anyway, will these Transmission problems just carry over or would that help in this case?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you upgrade to FreeNAS 9 you will have to recreate all of the jails from scratch. FreeNAS 8 jails aren't compatible with FreeNAS 9.

jwall

Dabbler
Ok, so if I do the upgrade from the web interface will the jails and data in them be deleted for me and then I just need to reinstall Transmission? Or will the 3GB of data I have in the mount point be orphaned, how do I delete it?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
the jails and data won't be deleted, but you will have to delete them before you can create new jails. Unless you want to hack the database after the fact the best way to handle the upgrade from 8.x to 9.x is to:

1. Destroy your jails after backing up any important information from inside the jails.
2. Reboot
3. Do your upgrade to 9.x
4. Recreate your jails.

jwall

Dabbler
Thank you. To destroy the jails do I go to Services > Plugins > Settings then the Delete button? Or Services > Plugins > View Mount Points then the Delete button? Or both?

After I update FreeNAS, recreate the jail, I then enable Transmission through the web interface and configure?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, just delete the jails how you described above. The mountpoints will be removed automatically.

jwall

Dabbler
I've updated to FreeNAS v9.2, and just finished setting up Transmission as shown in http://forums.freenas.org/index.php...couchpotato-sickbeard-and-transmission.19043/ but still have a similar problem as before. Transmission does auto-load the torrents that I put in the Downloads\Transmission directory but I cannot delete or modify the data that Transmission downloads to Downloads\Transmission\Downloaded. I did not install Plex, Couchpotato or Sickbeard and the only things I did differently with the Transmission setup were:

1. I used an existing "Transmission" user and group (I assume I created these for Transmission on v8) instead of "media" and did not create a guest user.
2. I gave the Transmission user and group rights using chown -R Transmission:Transmission /mnt/RAIDZ/Downloads/Transmission
3. I did not do the last line in the separate Transmission setup section because I didn't see the unmask property, there was "umask": 18, but I wasn't sure if that was what I wanted so I just exited the editor

The user I'm accessing the data in Downloads\Transmission\Downloaded is in the Transmission group.

Some screenshots of my config are attached. Obviously I'm missing something but I'm not sure what. Please help...

Attachments

• Transmission_Storage.PNG
    Transmission_Storage.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 277
  • Transmission_Src_Dst.PNG
    Transmission_Src_Dst.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 273
  • Transmission_Dirs.PNG
    Transmission_Dirs.PNG
    28.4 KB · Views: 287

jwall

Dabbler
Anyone? I can be dense at times but I must be missing something simple here

jwall

Dabbler
I have it working now but on the dataset containing the source for the mount point I had to set the owner to 'nobody', the group to 'nogroup' and give full rights to the owner, group and world. Ideally what I'd like is for only my user to be able to modify the data that has been downloaded by Transmission, but if I change the owner or group from 'nobody' or 'nogroup' respectively and remove world access Transmission doesn't autoload torrents.

I just don't understand how the permissions work, which user is Transmission using to download the data?

Status
Not open for further replies.