AFP shares read/write permissions when pointing to a mount point

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have setup a mount point for Transmission so that my downloads reside in /mnt/Volume1/Transmission.

Inside of the jail, the owner of this folder and its contents is the transmission user and group. Outside of the jail, the owner is 40001 (which I believe is to do with the mount point).

When I set up an AFP share to this folder so I can access it myself, I can read but not write to the share. Of course, this is because the permissions are 40001.

I would like to be able to read and write to this share, whilst enabling the transmission user to use the mount point as well.

Has anyone else had this problem and have could it be solved? Any help is appreciated!

fracai

Guru
40001 is the UID of the transmission user in the jail. You could create a user named "transmission" in the main FreeNAS OS and manually select 40001 as the UID and GID and then you'd see the user name instead of the UID for the owner even outside of the jail.

I'm sure you could get something with ACLs that would grant other users write access to this directory, but the easier method is to set the permissions of the transmission folder to 777. This grants everyone read and write access. That may not be the most secure, but it's not like you're setting this permission on anything you couldn't download a second time.

fracai

Guru
Keep in mind that that won't automatically grant any extra permissions, it'll just make it easier to see where the permissions came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.