Cannot Access Harddisk

ridwanshandy

Cadet
Hi, I've been using FreeNAS for about a year, and haven't faced any issues. But today I suddenly can't access my Disk, usually I can directly access the Disk as usual through Windows Explorer, but now I can't. But indeed my disk has been full lately, only about 100MB left, then after I checked via the Web GUI, and it turns out my disk is full until 0B remains. Does it cause me to be unable to access my Disk? If so, I need a solution to the problem. Thank You

1680751474550.png

1680751516019.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The following applies to all systems and is in no way specific to ZFS or TrueNAS:

Do not completely fill your storage! Things will break.

So yeah, start deleting stuff.

NugentS

MVP
And you may not be able to delete stuff. As deleting stuff generally requires some space initially to perform the delete.
You may have lost the pool as a result of running out of space - I hope not

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
ZFS keeps a bit of space reserved to prevent that sort of thing. That said, higher-level protocols are likely to suffer, so deleting stuff over SMB, for instance, may be trickier.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Worst case, you can mount the pool as read-only to get data off it... the data will not be lost, but you may need to re-create the pool to continue using it if you have insufficient space to allow for a delete.

Davvo

MVP

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you have snapshots, you can revert to those.
Maybe not... in order to revert a snapshot, a change to metadata is required. We're using a Copy on Write filesystem, so those metadata changes must go somewhere in free space before anything else can happen... no free space will mean no-can-do.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Davvo

MVP
Maybe not... in order to revert a snapshot, a change to metadata is required. We're using a Copy on Write filesystem, so those metadata changes must go somewhere in free space before anything else can happen... no free space will mean no-can-do.
Yikes, he doesn't have a lot of options then. Doesn't ZFS reserve some space for this kind of tasks?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Interesting to see this:

spa_slop_shift

Normally, the last 3.2% (1/(2^spa_slop_shift)) of pool space is reserved to ensure the pool doesn’t run completely out of space, due to unaccounted changes (e.g. to the MOS). This also limits the worst-case time to allocate space. When less than this amount of free space exists, most ZPL operations (e.g. write, create) return error:no space (ENOSPC).

Does that mean we will see the used space stop at 97% (seems to be at 100% here)? or will the slop space exist outside of the available/free space?

Doesn't ZFS reserve some space for this kind of tasks?
Indeed it does, see above. I guess there may or may not be a lot of ways for that space to also be consumed (or deliberately reduced).

Davvo

MVP
Does that mean we will see the used space stop at 97% (seems to be at 100% here)? or will the slop space exist outside of the available/free space?
I was under the impression it existed outside of the usable space (and as such of the % we see in those panels).

sretalla