"No space left" (Win, Mac) after successful update to 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolex

Dabbler
Hello

I updated my FreeNAS server to 9.3 successfully and reloaded my previously saved settings. Everything works fine. I can access my data and all settings (users, plugins, volumes, etc.) seems to be the same as before.
But when I try to copy new files to my server via Windows Explorer I receive the message that there is no space left although there is still about 1TB of space left. The same problem I have on my mac: "The item ... can't be copied because there isn't enough free space."
I have absolutely no idea where to find the problem.

Hope you can help me.

Thanks.

Two things that come to mind:
Can you take a screenshot of the Storage->Volumes page and
does the dataset you are copying to have a quota in place?

diedrichg

Wizard
And this is why I'm going to build the configuration from scratch rather than upload the config file once I get the time to upgrade to 9.3.

coolex

Dabbler
Here is the screenshot:
storage_volumes.JPG

Sorry, but what do you mean by that and where to find it:
does the dataset you are copying to have a quota in place

danb35

Hall of Famer
There's something wrong with that screenshot. FreeNAS 9.3 will show at least one dataset under each volume with the same name as the volume (and then any other datasets under that one), as well as giving the used and free amounts in human-readable units (KiB, MiB, GiB, etc.). The screen does look like 9.3, but your volumes are being depicted very oddly. What version did you update from? Were you using ZFS volumes? What are the rest of your system specs?

As to the quota question, the manual describes this, but I think there's more going on than that.

coolex

Dabbler
These are my system information:
system.jpg

I don't use ZFS. Maybe that is the reason why my previous screenshot looks different.
I updated my FreeNAS from 9.2 to 9.3.

gpsguy

Support for UFS was dropped in v9.3.

I'd reinstall the previous version and restore your configuration file. If you don't have a backup of it, you'll have to reconfigure your server.

With just 4GB of RAM, your hardware isn't capable of running ZFS on FreeNAS. The minimum requirement is 8GB of RAM.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FreeNAS 9.3 only supports ZFS.

Other filesystems are for one-time import only.

coolex

Dabbler
I am surprised because everything else works really fine on my server, even better than before (e.g. watching movies). The only issue I have is simply moving a file to the server. I still think there must be some settings to change.

I just figured out when using SpeedCommander14 I get the following alert message:
speed_commander.png

When I click on "Ignore" then the file is moved to the server as expected without any issues. Furthermore trying to move the file from a FTP server happens even without that question.

So, I am pretty sure it must be possible to configure FreeNAS to solve that problem.

gpsguy

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I am surprised because everything else works really fine on my server, even better than before (e.g. watching movies). The only issue I have is simply moving a file to the server. I still think there must be some settings to change.

I just figured out when using SpeedCommander14 I get the following alert message:
View attachment 8035
When I click on "Ignore" then the file is moved to the server as expected without any issues. Furthermore trying to move the file from a FTP server happens even without that question.

So, I am pretty sure it must be possible to configure FreeNAS to solve that problem.
You're basically ignoring everyone telling you that UFS is no longer supported as a valid filesystem in 9.3, aside from importing, including the official documentation.

Please heed the warnings and the documentation.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Looks like you have read-only access to your UFS volumes, which is consistent with 9.3 being ZFS-only except for one-time import. You are not going to find a setting that will change this behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.