SOLVED Bug? ftp service references ftp group that doesn't exist

zenon1823

Explorer
Am I missing something or is this a SCALE bug that carried over something irrelevant from CORE.

When setting up FTP on SCALE the help tip for "Allow Local User Login" says "Allow any local user to log in. By default, only members of the ftp group are allowed to log in"

Previously on CORE rather then enabling this I did just that and added my ftp users to the "ftp" group. But there doesn't seem to be a "ftp" group in SCALE, despite the tip saying so.

SCALE 22.12.0
I checked release notes for 22.12.1 and i didn't see anything wrt ftp so i don't expect there to be any changes to this behaviour.

NOTE: The documentation for setting up FTP does say to enable "Allow Local User Login" so anyone following the documentation will successfully setup FTP. But my question is specifically around if its possible to use a built in group for FTP auth and if this tool top is a bug?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
SCALE 22.12.0
I checked release notes for 22.12.1 and i didn't see anything wrt ftp so i don't expect there to be any changes to this behaviour.

NOTE: The documentation for setting up FTP does say to enable "Allow Local User Login" so anyone following the documentation will successfully setup FTP. But my question is specifically around if its possible to use a built in group for FTP auth and if this tool top is a bug?
You may be right... if you can confirm with 22.12.1 then please Report a Bug.

zenon1823

Explorer
You may be right... if you can confirm with 22.12.1 then please Report a Bug.
Will do, as soon as I replace an ssd that's failed on my boot pool I plan to update to 22.12.1. I'll report back in a day or so.

zenon1823

Explorer
can confirm that this applies to 22.12.1 also, no ftp group. guess its a bugg then.
Thanks Kristoffer, Ive ran into another bug/issue with replacing a boot mirror device so hadnt been able to verify yet. I guess ill go ahead and open the bug report.