FTP - wrong password, won't authenticate with local users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBIade

Dabbler
I have setup the FTP service to allow local logon. I have also setup a local user called ftpuser.

When I try to logon to the ftp server using FileZilla I get a connection proving the ftp service is working/running but it never authenticates. I've tried the obvious things like chnaging the password over and over to something very simple but still it doesn't authenticate so there must be something I'm doing wrong. I've also added the user to the ftp group on the server but this was a last resort and made no difference as expected.

I've also stopped and started the ftp service numerous times to no improvement.

When ticking allow annonymous access it works ok and is very quick.

Anyone got any ideas?

FireBIade

Dabbler
After doing a bit of searching I found out what the issue is, and it does make sense but in an odd way.

The ftpuser account I had setup had the default home path of /nonexistent, changing this to point to the place where I want the users to be made it work e.g /mnt/ftparea

I suspect this happens because of the Chroot option being ticked by default (as you would expect because it's secure) but what this does is lock the user into their Home directory (/nonexistent)...doh!. This of course overrides the Path you set when you setup the FTP service.

Status
Not open for further replies.