BTSync Plugin Permission issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am having the same issue but only for a few of the datasets within a share that I have given the btsync user access to. Any ideas what is going on?
I don't think anyone can help you unless you give more details.
At least show the permissions of the files in question

From the btsync jail
Code:
ls -l /path/to/files

Bobbiek04

Dabbler
I don't think anyone can help you unless you give more details.
At least show the permissions of the files in question

From the btsync jail

I was trying to avoid the long post, but here we go...

I've had the freenas going now for a few months and have loved it. no issues within the local network storing files and creating snapshots. Currently it is holding several files that border on irreplaceable. Up until now I have kept an external HDD at my office as an offsite backup. Now that my total file size has started to outgrow the size of the external HDD, I did some research and intended to use btsync to send files to an offsite HDD which has landed me here trying to figure out the correct permissions for btsync to use in order to send several folders, sub-folders, and files to this new device.

With that in mind, here is the information you are looking for from inside the jail.

Code:
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 1001  1001   4 Oct 19 21:26 .sync								 
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  2 Sep 28 03:20 Family Photos						 
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 root  1001   3 Oct 18 20:32 Family Videos		  
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 root  1001   2 Oct 19 19:31 Incoming_BTsync					   
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  2 Sep 28 03:50 RK Documents						 
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  2 Sep 28 03:43 RK Photos							 
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  2 Sep 28 03:53 RK Videos							 
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 1001  1001   3 Oct 18 21:20 Remote Sync						   
drwxrwxr-x+ 4 1001  1001   4 Oct 19 19:22 Sync								 
root@btsync_1:/ # tail /etc/group											   
uucp:*:66:																	 
dialer:*:68:																	
network:*:69:																   
audit:*:77:																	 
www:*:80:																	   
hast:*:845:																	 
nogroup:*:65533:																
nobody:*:65534:																 
media:*:8675309:																
btsync:*:817:btsync															 
root@btsync_1:/ # id btsync													 
uid=817(btsync) gid=817(btsync) groups=817(btsync)

Looking at this, my thought is that the files within the btsync jail are not permissioned correctly. I am trying to get it to run as user "bysync."

Any idea how to change the permissions within the jail using the shell (sorry for the noob question)?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Code:
chown -R btsync /path/to/files

If that still doesn't work, I noticed you have Windows ACLs enabled on some of those folders (the ones with a +). That can add additional complications to what can write to a file.

Bobbiek04

Dabbler
Thank you for your help! I was able to change the permissions inside the jail to the btsync user, but for some reason the jail is not seeing the files within the folders. I know this because btsync was setup, but did not sync any content. I double checked this with the du command inside the jail.
Code:
root@btsync_1:/ # du -shc /media																									
88M	/media																													 
88M	total

This file should be TB in size as shown in the storage tab of freenas GUI correct?

This issue may belong in a different thread as I don't think it relates to the permission issue.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thank you for your help! I was able to change the permissions inside the jail to the btsync user, but for some reason the jail is not seeing the files within the folders. I know this because btsync was setup, but did not sync any content. I double checked this with the du command inside the jail.
Code:
root@btsync_1:/ # du -shc /media																									
88M	/media																													
88M	total

This file should be TB in size as shown in the storage tab of freenas GUI correct?

This issue may belong in a different thread as I don't think it relates to the permission issue.
Can you show a screenshot of your Storage tab and Jails > Storage tab?

Maybe your dataset is currently unmounted or you have subdatasets in the dataset you mounted, which won't appear if mounted in a jail.

Bobbiek04

Dabbler
Maybe your dataset is currently unmounted or you have subdatasets in the dataset you mounted, which won't appear if mounted in a jail.

That was exactly my issue. I didn't realize that that when i mounted a share, the data sets did not carry through. After I mounted the individual dataset, it worked flawlessly.

Thanks again for all your help, it is really appreciated!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
welcome, glad you got it working

Kirschenhofer

Dabbler
I'm sorry to bring this up again, but I still have a similar problem which I don't know how to solve...
I also installed BTSync plugin. For storage I mounted /mnt/vol1/BTSync (FreeNAS) to /mnt/BTSync (Jail) which works quite well. To gain access to the files of the BTSync folder I also created a cifs share to /mnt/vol1/BTSync. Now I do have read access to this share but I can't delete files and folder within this dir. This seems logical to me, since the permissions (from a FreeNAS point of view) are:

Code:
drwxr-xr-x  3 817  wheel	3 Feb  8 18:01 test/

Thus I tried to change the btsync user in the jail. I wanted to give this user uid and gid of a user that exists on FreeNAS. This did not work. The jail just didn't start anymore... :-(

I also tried to put the FreeNAS user in the wheel group. This also did not work because the wheel group does not have write permission to the files and folder created by BTSync.

I'm looking for an easy way to grant read and write (delete) access to my FreeNAS users via cifs shares to the BTSync files and folders....

Help would be really apprecited!

THX!

I have the same problem like Tom. Within the jail resilio produces permissions like this:

-rw-r--r-- 1 resilio wheel 1810120 Nov 27 09:44 IMG_1059.JPG

Even if I would add a FreeNAS user to the (jail) group "wheel", then wheel would not have write permissions.

Please help - thanks!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

Djc83

Cadet
I am having i think similar problems as well. I have Resilio sync installed and I can log in. I am not sure if I have the path set right for my use or permission set. I am a very simple home user that had this set up before on a desktop to sync both my phones into a folder I can access on the desktop.

**WARNING** I am a very green user to FreeNAS and this type of OS commands so please bare with me. I have also not had much time with Resilio Sync since my desktop set up was very simple and worked immediately so I don't know if my problem could be set up of Resilio itself.

What I am wanting to do is have Resilio sync back up the photos to a already existing SMB share set up on my FreeNAS Box.

What I have done so far with the jail is set the source to the SMB folder location and the destination to the jail "/media". I don't know if this is correct since the folder I want the photos to go to is in the SMB file share.

After getting this set up I was able to log into the Web UI and try to set the folder I want everything to sync to (which doesn't show in the drop down) "don't have permissions to write to selected folder".

I'm not sure if I have just gobbered the entire settings up or if i need to tweak a couple things here and there.

I did go through freenas web ui and added the btsync user to my SMB owner group but that doesn't seem to do anything.

I honestly dont know what further information you would like to see, like I said I am very green to setting up FreeNAS and utilizing Resilio Sync. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

Djc83

Cadet
Thanks for the Link, I tried solution #1, no change still get the error message. Tried Solution number 2 but then ran into an error in shell saying the "Home: illegal group name" (Home is my group name for the smb share). Solution 3, I was able to add my home group but then trying to add the btsync user did not work (hopefully I under stood that correctly). Tried solution #4 and still didn't work.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
wow, you couldn't implement any of them correctly, lol

can i see the output of 'ls -l /media' and 'ls -l /' in your jail?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
1) the output I asked for should show if you did this correctly

2) if you want to use this solution, please show all the commands and outputs you did. that should show what's the issue.

3) why are you mentioning 'btsync'. resilio uses the user 'resilio' i believe

4) the output I asked for should show if you did this correctly

Djc83

Cadet
After doing a little more playing around with how I was typing the names in when attempting the commands I did learn that for some reason even thought I have my group name as "Home" when i type it in I have to use "home". After that any making sure my uster account was not btsync but resilio sync. Goes to show how easily I overlooked things when trying to follow setup guides that are still for btsync.

I am still having the write permissions message pop up after I got solution 2 and 3 to work. Below is all of the commands I did. along with the outputs of both commands

Attachments

• snip 3.PNG
    snip 3.PNG
    14.8 KB · Views: 278
  • snip 4.PNG
    snip 4.PNG
    3.5 KB · Views: 277
  • snip 5.PNG
    snip 5.PNG
    19.2 KB · Views: 254

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
which solution did you do?
did you still have an error you need to solve?

your /media folder has windows ACLs enabled, so even if you follow a solution perfectly it still might not work. i don't know anything about them and have avoided them

Status
Not open for further replies.